Coydogs in Kentucky

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Semp, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    Anyone found evidence of coydogs in Kentucky? I killed a three legged one once. At least I think it was a coydog. At first I thought it was a coyote when I shot it. Later after a closer look, it had dog aspects to it.

I was wondering how common they were.

2. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    I shot 2 about 6 weeks ago in Jackson Co. I had my dog with me using a hand call. They charged in on my dog and I got 'em both.
    They had the looks of a coyote, long snout, big ears, very bushy tail. But their fur looked like it was ticked like a dog. Same color as coyotes but looked strange. They were VERY aggressive. But nothing 12 gauge BBs couldn't handle.

3. Cornmonkey

Cornmonkey 8 pointer

May 17, 2009
    east ky.
    Your dang right there here in east ky. I have one i,am trying to plug and this is one huge yote almost double the avrage size. Going to try snaring it's hindend this season. One big mean looking mutter.

4. Yep we got em'. This old bitch was coming back to a den. That den has been active for years. Her tail was straight as a easton. Except for a very little hook at the tip. You could feel it, but you could not see it.
    [​IMG]

5. 95bravo

95bravo 6 pointer

Feb 9, 2006
    Read a neat article on coydogs and how they are looking more doggy.
    In your first generation of pups you can group the hybrids into 4 groups.
    1 25% of the pups will look doggy and act coy
    2 25% of the pups will look coy and act doggy
    3 25% of the pups will look coy and act coy
    4 25% of the pups will look doggy and act doggy

Group 2 and 4 don't the mental make up to make it in the wild.
    Group 1 has a better chance of not getting gunned down by hunters than group 3. If that subgroup makes it to the next generation. You end with with Coydogs that behave very much like Coyotes and look like dogs.

6. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    Is that article online or have a link, 95bravo? I'd like to read it. Thanks.

7. 95bravo

95bravo 6 pointer

Feb 9, 2006
    Can't recall. I worked at the library at EKU in the late 90's and browsed tons of books and mag's.

8. I remember back in middle school, which has been about 12 years, a Game Warden from Eastern Kentucky came to school to talk to us. Some how the subject of coyotes and coydogs came up. Supposedly, he said that there was this farmer in Eastern Kentucky having problems with his cows getting attacked and killed. The Game Wardens set up over his pasture and one of them killed a coydog that supposedly weighed 91 lbs. I have always heard they are more prevalent in the eastern section of the state than in the western.

9. bulls eye

bulls eye Fawn

Aug 22, 2009
    I was deer hunting last season and one walked up on me. I smoked him with my 7 mm....at the time I had never seen a Coy and thought it was just a huge yote (didn't know the difference). Wish I had weighed him, cause I know he weighed 90 plus. He weighed more than my Lab and she weighs 80 pounds. Pretty cool stuff...I might have to give coyote hunting a little more serious try in the future. We got lots of them around here, probably too many.

10. Can someone tell me the difference between a coy dog and a yote? I mean, other than size is there anything that makes them look different?

11. Green river time

Green river time Fawn

Apr 28, 2009

We have them down in big clifty off of 84, you can watch them at night in groups of 5 plus going affer the horses we have. We try to take out as many as we can.

12. ceg4uk

ceg4uk 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2006
    Sloughs WMA
    They are tough to distinguish, but I think I've come up with a sure-fire method. On your farm, any canine animal without a collar must be a coydog, and is therefore fair game.:D

13. Green river time

Green river time Fawn

Apr 28, 2009

Good idea that is what we have been doing but those coydogs are so much smarter that the average dog. thanks alot anyway

14. erwin1

erwin1 10 pointer

Nov 6, 2008
    lewis co
    we have caught them here in lewis county in the past

15. coysmoker

coysmoker 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2010
    Boone Co.
    I wonder if their tracks resemble a dogs or coyote? I have seen tracks in Boone Co. that would make you clutch your gun and check to see if you have enough ammo !!!