Cow's getting on property.. what to do??

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by tmayn031, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Rodeo man

Rodeo man 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    A line fence adds value to both properties. It's only fair that both parties contribute. If nothing else it marks the boundaries.

2. Beef is just as good as venison.If you let people run over you they will.People only do to you what you let them.I would have took care of this cattle issue along time ago.Neighbors and family always take advantage.

3. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I had the same problem for years only the guy was tearing down the fence on purpose because he didnt have enough grass and wanted mine for free. After years of being nice i finally told him i knew what was up and if his cows came back again i was going to start shooting them, i havent had any problems anymore he didnt own the land his cows were on and he has moved them away, the owners got tired of talking to him aslo.

4. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Bah. . . Nonsense. . . . Ridiculous

A landowner of unimproved property doesn't need a fence and gets almost no "value" for being forced to build one. If I have a 300 acre farm, and you, Mr. Cattle Owner, bring suit against me to construct a fence that only runs along 25% of my property, how does that improve my property value? It wouldn't, unless I fence in the whole thing.

It is NOT fair to force me to build a fence on a certain part of my property, so that your cattle from your property doesn't come running all over MY land. If you want cattle, build your own freaking fence. Otherwise, stay the hell off my land and don't tell me what I need to do to make my property more valuable.

This fencing statute isn't limited to 2 farms that are both running cattle, in which case an equal division of the costs makes sense, it applies to any and all property. It's a pure and simple piece of special interest legislation, and is a prime example of why Kentucky lags so far behind our sister states. In a lot of respects, this fencing statute reminds me of the most recent pro-gambling initiative. Instead of just positing legalizing gambling as an up or down proposition, our politicians had to cater to the horse industry and give the horse tracks a quasi-monopoly over any future gambling.

5. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    "Good fences make good neighbors" Try this first, and keep the peace.

6. kydirtdog44

kydirtdog44 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2011
    PENDLETON CO
    do yourself A HUGE FAVOR AND DONT LISTEN TO ANY OF THE POST SAYING KILL OR SHOOT OR RUSTEL ANY CATTLE IF U DO I CAN ASSURE U U WILL A FEW NITE IN THE COUNTY JAIL AND SEVERAL AND FEW BUCKS TIED UP IN LAWYER FEES AND COURT IN KY THE LAW STATES THAT HE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR HALF OF THE FENCE ANF AJOINING PROPERTIES ARE RESPOSNIBLE FOR THE OTHER . GO TALK TO HIM ASK HIM TO PLEASES FIX THE PROBLEM. ASAP IF HE DOSENT CALL THE LOCAL SHERRIF AND GO ABOUT THIS THE LEGAL WAY.
    I

7. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    I believe there are some pretty serious laws in this state with killing others cattle. We had this problem years ago on a lease. We bought a whole spool of barbedwire and fixed it ourselves. It wasn't pretty, but it kept them out. Trust me, you don't want to go the legal route, usually nobody wins.

8. Once cows get accustom to getting out... they are hard to keep in. Evidently they are looking for something to eat.

9. Rodeo man

Rodeo man 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    If someone is not willing to adhere to the fencing law they should not worry about cattle getting out on them. You people say you have unimproved property, and receive no value added to your property, and no benefits. Your own comments say the opposite. Many of you have commented you would kill someone's cattle for being on your land. Personally I think your all talk, but be prepared when your hunting dog leaves the confides of his pen to suffer the same consequences.

10. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I wonder how they would taste?

11. Chester

Chester 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    Just my 2 cents...but I think you need to resolve this in a way to keep the peace with a neighboring owner. In the long run you will be glad. Ask him if he needs some help fixing the fence...

12. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Half his responsibility...what's to stop the non-cattle owner from buying some and getting a free fence, otherwise? Yes, a fence has value. If you don't believe me, buy all the materials and hire it to be put up. Let us know if it has value then.:rolleyes:

13. chris149

chris149 12 pointer

Jun 17, 2009
    KY
    I couldn't agree more to this statement!
    I would ask him once to fix it then I would say I have seen your cows buddy I don't know what your talking about :). I think if one side want's cattle then be it build you own fence and keep it up any one disagrees with this has there head stuck up there well??? I don't own any cattle yet but if I do I will build my OWN FENCE and KEEP IT UP so MY COWS were not distroying my neighbor's land plan and simple. If I don't have cattle I am not making any money off of your cattle so why is this law not revised and fixed the way it should be.

14. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Ive been through this and won in both cases. My property is improved, however both judges (and the 3 appeals court judges)refused to force me to build a fence to keep my neighbor's cattle out. In the beginning, I offered to pay half the cost simply to keep the peace, but as his demands grew more unreasonable I decided to fight it and won. The other party thought he could stick it to me with that statute but found out otherwise (and paid my legal fees).To this day, I would still be willing to share the cost of a good fence with any good neighbor with whom I can work out a mutually fair arrangement. Try to bully or threaten me into an unfair arrangement with an antiquated statute, and we'll have a little go of it.
    So today I have 6 good neighbors with whom I feel I can resolve any fence issue, and one that coulda had a fence and instead ended up with nothing. I'm sure any cattlemen on here like Rodeo would find this unfair, but in the 21st century when you overplay your hand and someone calls your bluff, it gets expensive.

15. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

You completely missed the point.