cowboy pistol opinions needed

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by styxvalleydan, Jan 31, 2009.

1. styxvalleydan

styxvalleydan Spike

Jun 15, 2008
    im getting ready to head down to pick out a cowboy action pistol whats everyones opinion on the ruger new model black hawk convertable 357/9mm does anyone know if they make these in stainless. i really dont want to spend a ton of money on one but if im gunna spend the money id like to get a good one...what about uberti vs ruger any suggestions at all on these i would appreciate as far as barrel length goes whats the opinion on 5-6 inch barrels. and what kind of groups roughly would i get at 25 yards with the rugers dont know much about hand guns so any help is greatly appreciated thanks for your time everyone

2. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    The blackhawk has adjustable sights... I don't know if SASS will let you shoot with adjustable sights.

3. Tha' Hat

Tha' Hat 10 pointer

Oct 3, 2005
    The Island
    I believe there are classes for adjustable sights.

I've got a Blackhawk .44 magnum. Fine revolver. I've never owned a Uberti, but have handled some of them. I'd go with the Ruger.

4. gatorgrowl

gatorgrowl Spike

Nov 6, 2008
    Orlando Fl
    I am a Cowboy Action Shooter, have been shooting for 10 years....and there are classes for adjustable sights. Also, depending on age, adj.sight revolvers can be used in the older age classes.
    I shoot Old model 3 screw Ruger Blackhawks, 357/38 specials....flat tops. Shorter barrels are preferable since it takes less time to get them out of the holsters and then reholstering. Mine are 4 5/8".
    Rugers will stand up to all the tough shooting we put them through. You won't go wrong with the Rugers...
    Most Cowboy targets for pistols are only set at about 7 - 10 yards...and "bullseye" accuracy is not needed, since the targets are generally pretty big i.e. 12" x 12" or larger.
    Look up a Cowboy Action club in your area...and go to a match. The Cowboys love to help newcomers....they will probably let you shoot some guns to see if you like that style, etc.
    Go to www.Sassnet.com and check out the Sass website. This is a great hobby...But be ready to get hooked. Have fun.
    gatorgrowl/ aka "Johnny The Kid", SASS 22917
    Orlando, Fl