cow pasture turkey

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by DEERMD, Apr 9, 2017.

What is biggest attractor of gobblers to an area:

1. food source

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. strutting ease

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. non pressured areas

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. habit

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. DEERMD

DEERMD 8 pointer

Nov 21, 2003
    campbellsville, ky
    Until recently I dont think I realized how much turkey like cow pastures. Seems all of the birds I have seen lately are in cow pastures. I have clover/wheat field I planted 1.5 months ago that is growing at a rapid pace and I have not a single turkey on our farm Last year I had 2 gobblers and a bunch of hens. Now all I have seen is 2 hens that look like they are brooding. NO gobbling. Oddest thing and I KNOW there was a good year of youngins last year.

2. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    They do love cow pastures. I think because they like to flip the pattys for bugs and most pastures are usually mowed down low enougb they can strut easy. An normally these areas are pretty wide open so they can see predators trying to stalk them. Jmo. However this time of year the gobblers are gonna be with the hens. So if you find out where the hens are hanging out chances are the toms wont be far behind..

3. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I feed silage corn and they hit my feed lot and silage pile all winter long . . I drive through then all the time and they don't pay much attention to my tractor or the cows . I have seen them on my feed troughs while my cows are eating . This morning I saw one still on the roost in a tree Right beside my feed barn . I first thought it was a black headed buzzard but it was a hen turkey .

I see where they tare the cow patties up digging out bits of passed through corn . Nasty birds , but got to love them

4. Rodeo man

Rodeo man 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    Pasture is a good deal for a turkey. Imho visibility is as much of a factor as anything. I feed a mix of about 60% shelled corn, 40% DDG. Feed about 700 pounds a day. We killed 2 Toms youth weekend. Both birds crops were completely full of clover. Not a grain of corn. In the fall season, its acorns, and not corn.

5. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Wow, That is awesome on the two gobblers. I thought you were not supposed to be feeding corn now

6. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    He's feeding livestock I think,I don't think it's considered baiting for that reason ,I could be wrong though.

7. Randy1974

Randy1974 6 pointer

Apr 12, 2016
    I think turkeys like the short grass in cow pastures my opinion they don't like walking though taller grass in the mornings when it's wet .hunted in Tenn last year drove by a pasture full of black Angus cows with one of those automatic feeders .turkeys every where around that feeder all day long was there 4 days stopped and ask *****No hunting****

8. Rodeo man

Rodeo man 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    I hope your being funny. The point was the turkeys are in pasture because they can see. With access to shelled corn in manure, they are eating clover.

9. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I realized that you were feeding cattle. I should have been more clear. I was asking about the corn feeding ban during turkey season. I was not sure when it started.

10. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    My thought has always been that the pasture thing is just the breeding time gobblers like to strut and be seen. Which draws the hens. As far as the turkeys feeding they will eat regardless of where,when and what it is. They feed in front of my tree stand in a deep wooded holler as much as blind over pasture. Now not to say they can't be conditioned or domesticated . A guy up the road always has steers on corn for slaughter. Everyday he feeds 2 five gallon buckets and beats buckets on metal feeders. As his 4 wheeler heads out the turkeys are running to the feeder they jump up right on the feeder with the cattle.

11. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I have seen turkeys do the same thing on cattle feeders more then once this time of year. I would never hunt near corn this time of yr because i love the hunt and i follow game laws to preserve the future of hunting. But corn is gold this time of yr for a turkey. Ticks me off to know some people are prolly selfish enough to bait them in the spring. But im sure it happens.