Covert MP8 issue - Batteries got hot in minutes

Discussion in 'Game Trail Cameras & Camcorders' started by redlickranch, Nov 22, 2021.

1. redlickranch

redlickranch 10 pointer

Dec 11, 2007
    Bullitt County
    I have had 3 Covert camera's stop working this year, but this one I thought I had fixed. Put in new batteries opening weekend of rifle and it took about 40 photos over the past week and then this Sat would not power on. Brought it home to mess with put in 8 new batteries and in a few minutes I could smell burning plastic. I picked up the camera and the four middle batteries were pretty hot. I also noticed the wire had melted. I let it sit and tried just four batteries and same thing happen. Looks like this one is hosed. I am hoping it is under two years old.

covert82.PNG

covert8.PNG

2. Grago

Grago 12 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I live about 15 minutes, from them, never owned one, to pricy for me, lot of people have problems, with them but i reckon they got good customer service, from what i hear, i would contact them, they should take care of it.

3. redlickranch

redlickranch 10 pointer

Dec 11, 2007
    Bullitt County
    So contacted them today and mine is out of warranty. This makes the 5th one to go bad on me so won't be buying any more of them. The MP6 were basic camera's, but seem to hold up better. This MP8 with the small screen seems to have some flaws in it. I only use them two months in the spring and two months in the fall so you would think they hold up better.

4. Grago

Grago 12 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    You would think so, as far as just a basic camera, to pull a card out 28 dollar tasco, most people i know using them. Myself if i had to pull the cards to look at them, i wouldnt use one at all. Nothing wrong with it, just me, i dont want to sit and go thru 2 or 3 thousands pics at a time, plus i dont sleep much anyway, so i enjoy looking at pics when they come in. If it wasnt 30 a month on the radix, thats what i would have, really like the reveals if they ever get the app straightened out and can talk to customer service, less than 2 weeks. I never had a very expensive camera , so i cant comment on them. I hear good things about spartans.

5. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    The Reveal app is killing me. I’m just gonna stick with my Spartans.

Grago likes this.