Covert cam messed up

Discussion in 'Game Trail Cameras & Camcorders' started by woodsandwater, Aug 25, 2015.

1. woodsandwater

woodsandwater 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2008
    My red 40 doesn't turn off? It just seems like another setup position when I switch it to off. Is this a switch with more than 3 positions that could have got jarred up and out of sink? Could I just pull the cover and adjust the switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. LungBlood

LungBlood 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2010
    Florence
    Call or email Covert customer service. Every covert I have seen only has 3 switch positions.

3. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

I have one that is doing the same thing. I can keep messing with the switch and get it to turn on and the viewer screen to go off.
    Mine is a 2013 model.

While I am relatively happy with the cams, I own 6, I am aggravated that they, Covert, apparently does not repair cams out of warranty. I spoke with them yesterday about the switch problem on the Red 40 and a white viewer screen on a Black 60. Both cams still work and take pics I just can't set up the Black 60 or tell how many pics on it and the Red 40 switch deal is probably going to get where it doesnt work at all.
    They told they could only offer me a discount on new cams.

I guess they are throw aways like all the rest once out of warranty.

4. dupont241

dupont241 6 pointer

Jun 1, 2006
    South Central Kentucky
    The discounted camera would probably be cheaper than the repair cost, I myself would rather have a discounted new camera than a repaired unit.

5. LungBlood

LungBlood 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2010
    Florence
    I had a camera with the switch problem and I got to messing with it yesterday. Like you said my camera would go to setup screen but wouldn't leave setup screen when I tried to switch it to ON. What I figured out is, switch your camera to the setup screen do what you have to do, switch camera to the off position, make sure red light on the outside of the camera is not flashing, push the switch all the way to the ON position, skipping past setup and not letting the setup screen pop up, make sure red light on the outside of the camera flashes a couple times to let you know the camera is on. I did this about 10 times last night and the camera worked every time.

6. woodsandwater

woodsandwater 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2008
    Mine still takes pics and stuff, it's just annoying as can be. I don't take how this is possible unless it's a multi position switch that got "jarred" out of whack.

7. LungBlood

LungBlood 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2010
    Florence
    If you need to turn it off take some of the batteries out. When I took mine apart, it only had 3 positions on the switch internally. Will it not turn off at all or won't leave the setup screen?

8. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

Yeah, I figured that out too. Just not sure how long it will last.

I can somewhat agree that the cost to repair may be high but I don't like the idea that I have to buy new $180+ cameras after a one year warranty expires, even at a discounted price.
    Having a one year warranty on an item that cost $200 and is only used maybe 6 months out of the year, then not having any service after that warranty is not good business in my opinion.

I bet that if you own a $180 chainsaw you take it to the shop to get repaired and expect more than 2 yrs of service.

9. woodsandwater

woodsandwater 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2008
    I don't know. As far as I can tell the off position is the same as setup. I haven't left it in off and came back 10 mins later to see if it works or anything

10. Muzzy Moment

Muzzy Moment 8 pointer

Sep 8, 2011
    Eastern KY
    When I switch mine from setup to on position it sometime does t work but if I keep messing with it it usually works.

11. woodsandwater

woodsandwater 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2008
    I like the pics it takes. But this really pisses me off. I've had 2 red 40s. One was stolen and one did this. So regardless the one got stolen, I've had bad luck from both lol

12. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    I love my Coverts and their customer service is as good as it gets. I have never had a problem that wasn't replaced with a new camera.
    Next time you call, try being nice and have a positive attitude.

13. woodsandwater

woodsandwater 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2008
    I haven't called. Because I'm sure it's out of warranty

14. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    I was replying to the huntr467.
    EDITED.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015