Counting Coup....... Claiming a kill.

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by FOWLER2671, Oct 16, 2019.

1. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I'm not sure how many people know the meaning of "Counting Coup"? From what I understand, some of the Indian Tribes respected the act.. Basically in battle, they did not necessarily have to kill the enemy to claim glory.. If they simply touched the enemy it counted as an act of bravery.

Sometimes when hunting I have the same sort of satisfaction with a non target animal getting close such as a squirrel or a doe when I'm waiting for a buck..

I just bought a new slingshot last week and today I was in town placing a For Sale sign in the yard of a house.. The squirrels were thick but so were the houses and I sure didn't want to introduce myself to the neighbors over a broken window...

But I was itching to try the sling shot out also... So I loaded up but only pulled about 1/3rd draw and launched a few steel balls at them.. The third one scared the little bugger and I enjoyed doing that without hurting him..

I might try this on a few does during gun season or a few squirrels!

Meatstick and Thomas Roberts like this.
  2. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    My luck id get busted by a buck messing around with squirrels. If i get antsy i checkout this site or craigslist on my phone, or read a book.

FOWLER2671 and Capttrae like this.
  3. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

I like getting close to animals. Squirrels and birds usually get within arms reach of me on most sits. I can sit like a stone alot of the time. I've had a deer walk 6 ft from me before she saw me while I was sitting on the ground. It's fun.

TripleGee and FOWLER2671 like this.
  4. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    Several times I have passed on a decent buck that wasn't quite there yet, and just knowing I outsmarted him enough to get a shot is fine with me.

TripleGee, 00noturkey, Brody and 3 others like this.
  5. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Two years ago i was at full draw on a buck that I thought was a tad too small and as he walked away out of range his horns got bigger and bigger and I started cussing myself. This might seem silly but I often drawback on deer and follow them as they walk and move around with my pin. If I get really bored that also happens with squirrels

6. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I’m reading a book now about a houndsman that hunted mountain lion and bear in the west in the 60s and 70s. The last years of his “career” was spent helping on a research project in MT where they treed and tranquilized lions. He felt the same way about counting coup on those research lions. He wasn’t concerned about the kill. I’ve met a lot of houndsmen over the years that were the same way.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  7. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    A few years ago when i was doing a lot of Coyote hunting, I was walking back after a set one morning. I saw a couple shapes moving through the sagegrass, I immediately thought Coyotes. I hit the dirt quick with my bipod down and followed them for a minute.
    Thinking....these aren't Coyotes....then i realized I was looking at 2 Bobcats through my scope.
    I squeaked a few times and the Big Tomcat head weaved through the grass where he was just visible facing me. I had the Target Dot on his chest and said...Bang. I stood up and he slunk back and walked on.
    This one was a big old Tom. I don't shoot Bobcats

8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

What ever happen to being out in the woods and paying attention to what's going on around you rather than looking at a phone screen or a book. You may miss seeing the largest buck of your lifetime slipping past.

TripleGee, woodsman92 and FOWLER2671 like this.
  9. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'

I passed up a buck a few years back thinking he would be better next season... He crossed the property line and his season ended about ten minutes later..

10. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Part of the enjoyment of hunting is being out in the woods, where it's peaceful and away from the BS of a "touchy-feely" society. The last thing I wanna do is look at a phone or even hear one.

11. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    the year after my strokes, i went hunting twice, once for 45 minutes, and the other for about 30 minutes. both in the evening, i think it was november 2011. muzzeloader.
    i was getting dark when i got out of my stand. i cleared the woods, and in the field was a 12 pointer. it was facing me, 40/50 yards away. i thought about raising my gun, to take a shot. i didnt want to do a front shot. the buck did a 180, i didnt want to do that shot neither.i only wish i had a camera shot. it turns out, those around here, neighbors, have been after that buck for years.
    i dont regret not taking a shot with the 50cal., a bit..

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  12. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I have had more fun and enjoyed hunting so much more since I started letting 2.5 and small 3.5 yo deer walk I also enjoy just watching does and all deer in general. It's one of the best teaching tools there is.

13. I rarely care if I kill game animals or not. I often squirrel hunt with little or no intention of actually shooting one. Many times with deer I will hold them in my sights and say "Bang" just to let them know I was there. But, I kill every coyote I see. :p

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  14. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I shot a few steel pellets at a few deer today. Just for fun, no harm, no foul.

15. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I’ve observed a few elk about 10 yrs ago with pink and yellow paint splatters on their sides from paintball guns.

FOWLER2671 likes this.