CO's and gates

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by huntr467, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cephus

cephus 6 pointer

Jan 28, 2007
    Central, Ky.
    They are real cops. I know for a fact the CO in my county has made more than 1 DUI arrest on my county road.(not me either)

2. mmayes

mmayes 12 pointer

Aug 2, 2005
    Near Aintry
    I am not here to start an argument, but my .02 is I don't want a CO on my property w/out my permission unless they are in pursuit of a suspected violater. My opinion is it is my land, private just like a dwelling. I wouldn't want a CO or any other LE official to stop by and look around my home anytime they wanted. Just because they have a badge and want to look around, IMO doesn't give them a right to come and go as they please. The law may say different, but thats how I feel.

As far a voluntarily giving them a key that is up too each landowner.

Mayes

3. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    I will explain why we have given the CO's keys to our property. There are several reasons. Number one, I live in my house, and am there most of the time, I know if rift raft is in my home most of the time. On our farm, I am not there most of the time, and people know that. A CO checking on it for me is just one more set of eyes for us.
    Secondly, if rift raft comes in my home, the law allows me to deal with it via deadly force. If someone is on my farm, I can't deal with it using deadly force, I can't even contain them. My only recourse is to take their picture, try and find out who they are from that pic, then press charges.
    The presence of CO's on our property got rid of a problem in 2 months that we had personally been dealing with for 10 years.
    Anybody that has had large amounts of tresspasing problems would embrace visits from the CO, trust me.

4. DW

DW 8 pointer

Sep 3, 2004
    Pilot View, KY.
    I gave a key to my C.O. as have many others.He has made given out several tickets for everything from Hunting w/o permission to Littering on my property. It all revolves around trust. These guys are honorable and work hard. They are willing to work with landowners. I would encourage everyone to make contact with their local C.O. You just might find you'll have a new friend that shares the same goal as you do. I have no problem with the C.O. in my area going anywhere he wants. Why you ask. Because I know him and trust him. These guys are spread thin. We need to make a effort to meet them and discuss our concerns.

5. BossGobbler

BossGobbler 6 pointer

Sep 21, 2006
    Honey Hole,Ky
    talk about open a can of worms

hey guys what I meant by real cops is the part in the wording that says they will call other law enforcement agencies for MOST things outside of wildlife violations.And as someone said they were spread thin already,so why not leave the dopers to the men that dont investigate the small stuff like game wardens have to?And to those of you who arent able to visit your properties It is a really good idea to utilize these men and women,afterall they are working for you and getting paid to do it.As for me I dont need that kind of help because since may 2005 Ive been hunting and fishing full time,and nothing gets past me on these proprties.And as far as the game warden that lost his life in the line of duty,thats a terrible tragedy and not a bit different than any other person sworn to serve and protect us or wildlife.And this just proves that there are evil people out who kill the innocent to avoid being caught for anything.And regardless of the 5 points I just lost for an infraction on this site,the freedom of speech gives us all the right to argue for what we believe is right even if the next guy doesnt agree.Isnt that why we dumped the tea in Boston Harbour anyway?I just didnt realize some on here had skin thin enough to be transparent:D But maybe I can take it up with them at their "wing night" after they have had some liquid courage to go with their CHICKEN wings hee hee.....pretty soon I will be in timeout with multidigits but thats ok he is the smartest dude on the site anyway and we can just call each other on that thing called a telyphone.:eek:

6. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.

You still get the shakes don't ya??
    Just kidding...

7. GW810

GW810 Spike

Mar 6, 2003
    KY.
    I usually don't post alot on here, but I have a few things to say. As a Conservation Officer for the Commonwealth of Kentucky, our education requirements are 4 years of college or 4 years of prior law enforcement or a combination of both. Compare that with ANY other law enforcement agency within the state and check their requirements. We also attend and complete the Department of Criminal Justice Training ( DOCJT) Basic academy of 16-18 weeks. Fish & Wildlife graduates are continually in the top of the honors class. Check the stats. The Department of Fish & Wildlife has a 8-10 week Law Enforcement academy it conducts AFTER the DOCJT academy. Each graduate is then in a 12 week Field Training Program before they are released to work on their own. As some posts here have refered, our officers have some book smarts and common sense. I have personally known and worked with Sgt Skaggs for 15 yrs and you will look hard to find a better, more dedicated officer in this organization. It's just my personal opinion, but it's my honor to call him a good friend.

8. BossGobbler

BossGobbler 6 pointer

Sep 21, 2006
    Honey Hole,Ky
    Well thats just great

All the training in the world cant give you social skills and Im glad you guys choose to help society like this but as I said we got started of on the wrong foot because a very rich and influential neighbor told him a bunch of lies and of course Im bitter about the whole thing and I would expect that type of resonse from a co worker who knows him in a different light.You all and any officer of the law have to develop a sense of knowing when someone who is a high ranking PETA member and volunteer goes after her neighbors just because we hunt next door.And if he has been doing this for 15 years you would think he could have seen both sides a little easier.Im not one of the bad guys but certainly have been treated as such.

9. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I'd like to see you post more often. Thanks for that information that I and most of the public didn't know.

10. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    X2...........

11. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

Thanks GW810 for responding...would be great to hear from you more. And thanks to everyone else for their pov's and opinions.

12. I won't name names but I knew of a certain CO who abused this statute for the purpose of poaching for himself.

Our rights and privacy are slowly being taken away from us right under our noses.No man should have the right to your personal property without permission.

13. MD501

MD501 6 pointer

Mar 18, 2005
    ON THE OTHER SIDE

14. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

thanks for posting 810......glad to see you still visit here from time to time....i do appreciate the job you and the other CO's do for us....

15. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

you would be amazed at what you can see from the air.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.