CO's and gates

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by huntr467, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    I dunno, but it's not the landowner's job to "prove" anything.

Under your approach, if KDFWR received a tip about a shot at night, investigated, and found a dead buck, the landowner would be cited, and it would be up to him to "prove" that he didn't shoot it.

There's a reason why the laws/regs are written the way they were, and, in this case, it's for the exact same reason that I poster earlier.

2. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

The CO was out to catch the landowner. He was looking for bait in the secluded areas of his farm. He said he knows he is doing it he just has not found it yet. I think he was trying to catch him in the act.
    And with all the other posts about baiting I was not wanting this to turn into another. I don't buy it that a landowner is going to be held liable and hauled off to jail just because someone found a bait pile on his property. If so then all those timber companies and farmers leasing land better get their lawyers ready. I'm sure with all the poaching and trespassing that goes on. Most CO's are not going to jump to those conclusions with out investigating or monitoring. Otherwise there will be lots of cases taken to court taking up everybodies time so on and so on.
    This event was in Crittenden county.

3. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    Yep, I also see your point. Lots of "grey" area when it comes to different situations. But, if a dead deer, pot, or bait pile is found on your property, who is the first person the CO is going to come looking for?.... YOU. My point is, I don't see how it is legal to have a bait pile on your property if you didn't put it there. I just think it would be hard to prove.

4. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Nope, I don't think I am. T

Read the statute closely. . . .

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/kar/301/002/015.htm

It doesn't say anything about landowners or making it illegal to have bait on your farm; it simply prohibits the "feeding of wildlife" from March 1 through July 25th. KDFWR can't go hauling landowners off to jail just b/c there's a pile of corn somewhere on their property.

The new reg doesn't change the reality that KDFWR will have to stake out bait piles, it just makes it easier to cite people. Under the old reg, you could have bait piles, you just couldn't hunt turkeys over them. The new reg, which bans any grain feeding of wildlife, will allow CO's to cite people who are caught putting out bait or hunting over it. For landowners, if the CO's know you have a bunch of bait piles on your farm, you can rest assured that they'll peek into every trashbin and open barn/storage area to see whether you have any unused grain bags lying around.

With this new reg, CO's won't waste time during turkey season sitting over bait piles that somebody put out for deer. Now, they can cite the deer hunter just as quickly as the poaching turkey hunter.

5. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.

Normally, they use airplanes to search out bait piles before the season. IF he was looking for corn on your neighbors property, the best way to find it would be to look at your neighbors property. Maybe I'm missing something here???

6. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Oh, I agree completely that the CO's would justifiably look to the landowner as the primary suspect; I just don't think that a pile of corn (without some other evidence that the landowner was the person responsible for putting it out) is going to earn the landowner a citation, nor should it.

7. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    We had a large 4 wheeler problem, that was resolved finally by the help of the CO's. We gave them keys to all our gates and cables, asked them to drive through whenever they were available. They occasionally stop by the cabin during gun season, but its pretty rare, and they don't check anything, just chit chat.
    The cabin is about 3 miles from our front gate, they wouldn't check the farm if they didn't have keys.
    Its your option as a landowner to give or not to give. We gladly offered ours, and are appreciative whenever they get a chance to do drive by's.
    I want to be known as farm that the CO's frequent, I think thats a good thing.

8. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Ditto here. Amazing how the poaching/trespassing problems vanished once word got around that we hunted with several CO's and the former KDFWR commissioner.

9. BossGobbler

BossGobbler 6 pointer

Sep 21, 2006
    Honey Hole,Ky
    CO's are just like everybody else

First of all I thought the Kentucky State Police Marijuana Eradication Teams or the Ky division of the DEA handled all of the pot growing issues in the state?Sure if these officers are on a wildlife mission and run across something like this,thats another story but Im sure they would turn around and call the REAL cops.Again I respect the animals they protect and helping make sure everything is on the up and up with thier presence.Now,that being said thier job is like any other out there,there are good people and not so good people and I dont mean criminals just like anywhere you go some law enforcement officers are great and some have a chip on thier shoulder.Either from the crappy salary they recieve for a sometimes very dangerous job and game wardens are no different.But Ive heard too many negative responces from people who have never broken any game laws or other violations and have been harassed anyway.Our local CO is Ricky Scaggs from bourbon county and several times in the past few months since starting an outfitting business in fayette co. he has paid us some visits because my nieghbor is a horse farm owner who is married to a millionare cardiologist and told me "she would not allow a hunting operation next to her property" to which I answered "well gloria welcome to the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA !!! " not realizing the women scorned thing and the type of infleunce ($$$$$$$)she had available from a pitiful attempt at becoming Lexingtons mayor a few years back.So after either lining this decendent of the worst country music singer in historys (ricky scaggs highway forty blues guy) pockets or whomever she called in frankfort and making up lie after lie about poachers,tresspassers and anything else she could dream up....this man has developed a personal vendetta for me. And he rides his "hoss" around every neck of my families properties in southern Fayette looking for me.Now many of you that have the really good guys as the game warden will say "well if you have nothing to hide dont worry" but I do have something to hide...THE MEN AND WOMEN THAT ARE PAYING GOOD MONEY FOR ME TO GUIDE THEM ON EACH HUNT!!!!!!! And nothing positive can come from a goofy hillbilly with a badge riding up thru your favorite strut zones and dusting sites....just to check your paperwork for the third time in the same month,this is just plain old little guy against the big money across the fence.And just doing it because he can,and from the look on his face each time he really enjoys this process....some will say call my lawyer which I have and suing state government would drag on until I ran out of money.To make matters worse the big "stud" he rides around on leaves big piles behind and on a farm with no livestock for over 25 years can make it very hard to walk down our "lanes" on the farm without stepping in horse crap.And believe me it has made me mad enough that I sometimes wish he didnt have a badge,while violence isnt the answer to everything,some things just deserve an old fashion butt whipping,then run his nose in the horse crap and see how he likes it.This is only a dream of mine derived from the things they have put me thru for the past year.I have too much at stake to get into trouble for assault at 37 years old with two children .So the chances of this punk *** gettin a key to my gates.....what do you think

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2007
  10. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I dont mind a C.O being around to bad. I do nothing wrong. LOL, not that I would ever see one on my property. Something would have to be bad wrong. From the edge of my yard its around 2000 feet(thats how much cable it takes to get to the top anyway) to the top of the mountain and its all UP! No 4-wheeler trails or roads(They would be heavily gated off if there were anyway) A lot of hard climbing. Most C.O's(and I know a lot) are just like the rest of us. They aint gonna take that hike unless they really,really want to, or have to:D I wouldent have any problems giving a C.O a key if they asked the right way. I do know a nice old guy who had a C.O "tell" him to give him a key so he didnt have to walk,LOL. The old man said " I cant stop you from being here sonny, but I can stop you from driving while your here. If you want to come and go have at it, but your gonna walk doin it." LMAO

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  11. Mount-N-Man

Mount-N-Man 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2004
    I don't think its a bad think to have a CO go through your property to check the back of your neighbors farm, but I think he should have said something to you first. Just hope that he doesn't do it while you got a big tom workin you in a few weeks and scare him off.

12. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose

I think the CO's are REAL cops.

13. BossGobbler

BossGobbler 6 pointer

Sep 21, 2006
    Honey Hole,Ky
    real means they can charge you with anything

you know I should have figured there would be a few skeptics but when I say real I mean the ones that have book sense,common sense and all around brains,this guy left a note on my truck once and it looked like a drunk first grader wrote it,pitiful just pitiful........besides there are two sides to everything and if you are malicious and try to just get at someone because somebody probably paid his rent,truck payment or something to that tune,well boys Karma is gonna get you in the end.So until then Its me against the terds to fight to do whatever I please with these proprties as long as I live.And my plan is to purchase the six hundred acres from this old bitty's children with a little gas/oil/coal money once I get the kids thru college and started out in life.And considering these two are twice my age,I now I will see it come to fruition...until then you can keep carrying your CO's athletic supporter around like a good little boy.

14. ksp771

ksp771 10 pointer

Co

If I had my own land to hunt on I would have the CO's several keys made. I would invite them to patrol everyday if they wished, heck I would even give thm lunch or dinner when they would be there. Simply because the job they do is very important. I would want them there to keep others out who I did not want on my land.

15. Seems too me if they can go on anybodys land why did they not just go to the landowner who they were suspecting , and drive right on and go look for the bait piles . Seems too me that would have kept everyone else out of the equation . If they suspect someone or have probable cause then they can go where ever they want . Sounds too me like he was looking for more than a bait pile but that is my honest opinion !!!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.