Corruption in KDFWR worse than EHD!

Discussion in 'Welcome to KentuckyHunting.net!' started by Chrispbacon, Oct 13, 2017.

1. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I would probably bet the farm that you won't be able to duck hunt behind his house in the next couple of years....nor should you be legal to do so.

Edit to add: bevins should be forced to resign if the corruption allegations appear to be true. There I said that so we can all get along.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  2. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    Reading the article from the link, It is quoted in there as Blevins complained the shots were as close as 40 yards. Go back and reread that part. I don't agree with the cover up or what KDFWR did or handled it, but good grief, 40 yards is to close to anybody's house.

3. gdb

gdb Spike

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Kentucky
    I totally and wholeheartedly agree!

4. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
  5. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

Frankfort lobbyist? You care to elaborate on that? I'm not okay with anything that happened. None of it. I don't like what happened with the officers being disciplined. I'm not okay with bait being placed to keep legal hunters from hunting. I'm not okay with management at the dept putting their CO's in situations to fail.

You keep arguing that someone was shooting onto the Bevins property. Is that an assumption on your part? To date, there is zero proof provided by anyone that shot landed on the property, as a result of the duck hunters discharging their shotguns. 4 law enforcement officers didn't find anything wrong with the hunters equipment, or the spot in which they were hunting. Shot landing on the Bevins property is not being investigated.

If standing up for what's right makes me a lobbyist, so be it.

The property the hunters were on is private property, not public. The area they were hunting requires them to have landowner permission, which they had. This situation is just like a deer hunter sitting on the property line. It may not be the smartest place to hunt, if it is in close proximity to homes, but it's not illegal.
    I can't say that anyone will be there hunting next season. Not my call. It's the landowners call. I'd say with the current situation, the landowner will probably decline any requests to hunt in the future.

6. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    [QUOTE="]but a duck load can go almost 250 yards.[/QUOTE]

Hate to put a fact in this theoretical discussion but no duck load that is legal to use in KY is going to take legal size or composition shot a distance of 250 yards.

7. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
  8. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Duck Load is 2 to 6 shot. Not F shot, T shot, or Wild Coyote etc. and not lead shot . I should have stayed out of this because feelings obviously are running high here. :(

9. gdb

gdb Spike

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Kentucky
  10. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    Has there been any new developments into this? Any court appearances?

11. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

12. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Shrader’s righteous indignation is really annoying.

13. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY

I listened to both hours of Strader on my drive from Whitesburg to Mount Vernon this morning.

Can't say that I'm surprised as to these new developments, the corruption continues to run rampanat, not only with KDFW but our legal system as well.

We, as sportsmen deserve better than what we are getting from KDFW.

gdb likes this.
  14. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    AGREE PETE. The Dept for YEARS and YEARS had their way with the state. Thinking the WHOLE STATE is their own PRIVATE hunting and fishing ground. And still do to some extent. But just like anything else you let something fester and build up for years. It takes time to get it cleared up. I think we are seeing some trying to get rid of the infection starting couple of years ago and now.

gdb likes this.
  15. gdb

gdb Spike

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Kentucky
    Obstruction Charges LKS Position Statement
    February 12, 2018Uncategorized

January 26, 2018

SUBJECT: Charges of obstruction of legal hunting filed against 6th District Wildlife Commissioner and Commission Chairman Jimmy Bevins……

Charges of obstruction and interference filed against KDFWR Law Enforcement Colonel Rodney Coffey and Captain Richard Skaggs.

LEAGUE OF KENTUCKY SPORTSMEN (LKS) POSITION STATEMENT

Based upon careful fact-finding, interviews, and open records requests, the LKS, representing the sportsmen and women of Kentucky, and in response to present public outcry of the outdoor community of this Commonwealth, has little choice but to call for Governor Matt Bevin to remove KDFWR Commission Chairman Jimmy Bevins from the Wildlife Commission of Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources (KDFWR). The LKS also calls on the KDFWR to take appropriate and immediate actions against Captain Richard Skaggs, and to replace Colonel Coffey in a timely manner. The new colonel must be able to interact and work effectively with officers and members of the Kentucky Conservation Officers Association (KCOA). We also call for the immediate reinstatement to active duty of the officers placed on administrative leave who are involved in this case.

As mentioned, much fact finding, documentation, and verification has taken place by the LKS. As longtime supporters of KDFWR and its many programs benefitting fish, wildlife, and all our citizens, we value a good relationship with the Department as deeply as we value our obligation to represent the best interests of our sportsmen and women who fund this Department. In taking our present position on this matter, we believe the following to be true, based on findings of the Executive Branch Ethics Commission, investigative reporting by the Lexington Herald-Leader, open records information and personal interviews:

1. Complaining of legal waterfowl hunting too close to his property, Commissioner Bevins baited his property and/or an easement area adjacent to his property to discourage or render unlawful, the present legal hunting on the creek area. Advised that this could constitute a violation (interference of legal hunting), he did so anyway.
    2. Officer Josh Robinson cited Bevins for illegal baiting, and attempting to close off the area to legal hunting. (Interference of legal hunting).
    3. Colonel Rodney Coffey and Captain Richard Skaggs interfered with the investigation and efforts to refer the case to the appropriate prosecutor, to protect Mr. Bevins and afford him special treatment.
    4. Several officers and members of KCOA were placed on administrative leave in order to remove them from participation, discussion, etc. of any and all KDFWR law enforcement matters. These officers were charged with various “infractions” of procedural protocol in old cases brought up to discredit them and to silence them in this case. The LKS contends the timing of this with the Bevins case is a clear indication of harassment and retaliation against these officers.
    5. In view of the entire case, the LKS believes Colonel Coffey and Captain Skaggs likely did not act alone or independently regarding interference in the prosecution of Mr. Bevins. After more investigation, should additional names come to light, the LKS calls for the public disclosure, discipline and/or removal of such individuals, no matter who, no matter what positon they hold.
    Regardless of the outcome of his upcoming trial, the LKS calls for the resignation/removal of Mr. Bevins. Otherwise, the KDFWR may suffer from an image of (at best) being dysfunctional or (at worst) being corrupt, in the eyes of the general public, the media, legislators, and the sportsmen and women of Kentucky. The LKS supports this agency and urges appropriate action to preserve its integrity.

The LKS further urges Mr. Bevins be disqualified from any further activity, participation, or influence in the business matters of the KDFWR, the Tourism, Arts, and

Heritage Cabinet, or any other board, commission, or agency in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

We invite comments and feedback from all concerned. Contact us at:

The League of Kentucky Sportsmen

[email protected]