Corned Venison

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by davers, Feb 5, 2020.

1. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Having harvested two nice Deer this past Deer season, I wanted to take some very nice round steaks about 3/4" thick and make corned venison from the following recipe:
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/1...ferringId=667&referringContentType=Recipe Hub

However, I can't find two important ingredients, which are "Morton's Quick Tender" and "Pickling Salt" for marinating meat. So I googled Morton's Quick Tender and tried to locate a place where I could buy it in my area, put in my zip code and it came up "Zero". When living in Evansville, one could find these two items in about every supermarket or grocery store, but NOT here in Kentucky. This surprised me as I though, for sure one could find these in Kentucky (?) Sure sounds strange to me that these can't be found in this State or in my area of the state.

2. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    No squirrels.
    No pickle salt.
    KY ain't got shit on Indiana, huh??

bondhu, dirtstalker and 1wildcatfan like this.
  3. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I really didn't care about your insulting post toward me. I was just trying to find out where I can find the two important ingredients, which are "Morton's Quick Tender" and "Pickling Salt" for marinating meat. This was just something that sounded good and I wanted to try.

4. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Insulting!? Sorry?
    Both of those products are readily available around here. It is odd that you can't find them

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  5. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Checked three stores here in Campbellsville and none of them had the Morton Quick Tender. At our Kroger's Store, the nice lady there never heard of it. I did another search and they have it at a store which is some 38 miles (one way) from me. Just strange it's hard to find here.

6. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
  7. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Thanks, but I think I'll contact my Sister and maybe she can find & send me some. If I order it from Amazon I have to buy more than I need.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  8. Tankt

Tankt Spike

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Look for instacure #1

9. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Make sure your looking in the canning section. Everywhere around here has it. Dollar General has it. If I search the wide web it’s says none is available in my area. Sometimes I think the web is a lyin sack of s...

davers likes this.
  10. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 10 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    I dont think you need Pickling salt, I dont use pickling salt for things like that but dont use iodized table salt, kosher salt if fine. Pickling salt has no minerals in it. So for instance if salt has copper in it and you have garlic in your pickles it can turn blue/green. As far as tender quick goes you should also be able to use Prague Powder #2, Tinted Curing Mix same thing. If you get up by Marrowbone, Summer Shade area there is an Amish store there on 90 and they have lots of stuff like that for very reasonable prices.

davers likes this.
  11. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I checked IGA store here and also Dollar General Store too, but no Morton Tender Quick. I e-mailed my Sister to see if she could send me a bag. The manager at IGA said that Deer Hunters might have bought it all up in order to make their Venison Sausage rolls.

12. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 10 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Try Walmart for Tender Quick

13. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    They didn't have it at Walmart either. That was the first place I checked.

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  14. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Maybe ace hardware or farm store ?

davers likes this.
  15. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    We don't have an "Ace" Hardware store, I haven't checked at Lowe's yet, as they sell a lot of BBQ salts & seasonings for the grill.

kyoutdoorsman likes this.