Corn Prices

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyarcher, Jul 3, 2012.

1. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    Hate to say this but I can image we will see corn skyrocket this year with all the corn crop failure due to the heat and drought.

2. Rutin

Rutin 6 pointer

Jun 9, 2012
    OHIO
    yup! gonna be tough on the feeders and baiters

3. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    I heard a report on the radio this morning that 27% of the corn fields were considered to reap a "poor" harvest due to the drought. It also mentioned that 17% was considered "very poor", but it didn't specify whether that 17% "very poor" was in addition to or part of the existing 27% that was considered "poor".

4. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    better stock up now.

5. retiredbowhunter

retiredbowhunter 8 pointer

Aug 23, 2006
    If the gov. would stop the corn subsidies for corn (as it pertains to ethanol for gas) corn would plummet. This keeps the price artificially high...and ethanol in gas really serves no purpose.

6. hunting buddy

hunting buddy 12 pointer

Oct 23, 2010
    bg
    I'm hoping that since there's a large corn crop out this year that maybe it'll somewhat offset the poor harvest.

7. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    no hope in that. No matter how much is planted if none of it makes anything we still have nothing. All the major corn producing states are in major droughts and its basically too late now. I would guess with the estimated 95 million acres of corn planted this year and the drought conditions we will easily see $7/bushel corn and more than likely $8-$9 and have heard some say we will see $11. Corn will be higher this year than last year. Only states producing corn that are getting any rain is ND that I know of and well they arent a big time state. I will stick with my clover plots. The are way cheaper.

8. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    I think November corn closed Tuesday at $6.70 or thats what I heard on the radio. Luckily, we got 3in. of rain Monday night and I believe it might of saved our corn. My dad doesn't farm big time, just around 80 acres, but he always has some of the best looking crops in the whole county. They might not yield as high, but they still look as good as any corn or soybeans I've seen in the county. I've heard one of the past presidents of Farm Burea say corn would get to $9 last year. I believe it may do it this year. Meanwhile, cattle prices are dropping because people don't have the pasture or water to feed them.

9. killer

killer 12 pointer

May 7, 2004
    "In that good way!"
    I just bought 1500lbs. on Monday that is a few hundred pounds more than I fed last year so I should be good to go. I typically do most of my feeding before season and a few weeks after the opener, then again in late season. It doesn't seem to do any good when the acorns start falling.

10. chris30

chris30 Fawn

Jun 2, 2012
    i just bought a gravity bed full this morning so i should be good to go also!!!

11. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Someone needs to make a run down south and buy a truck load of rice bran. They could make a few bucks Im sure and help out their Ky Hunting brothers. If anyone goes I'll take a ton or so.

12. Cedarridge

Cedarridge Spike

Sep 9, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    It all sounds pretty bad, I think I'll have to cut back on the amount I feed by at least half!

13. hunting buddy

hunting buddy 12 pointer

Oct 23, 2010
    bg
    Whats the price difference in the rice brand from here and down south

14. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Not sure, I just know you can buy it in bulk down there. I would like to give it a try if its not too expensive.

15. hunting buddy

hunting buddy 12 pointer

Oct 23, 2010
    bg
    My uncle said he found a place around here that sells in bulk. If your interested I'll find out. Just let me know