Corn clubbers

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Marsh CallUser, Dec 28, 2018.

1. bmason

bmason 6 pointer

Mar 31, 2006
    I don't think Jap Millet is considered an "agricultural" crop.

2. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    So what happens to public Dove shoots and private Dove shoots? That's not normal ag practice either.

Nock and Bowfinger like this.
  3. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    Good question

4. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I’ve always wondered that.

5. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    IMO doves are not very hardy. I don’t see a human imprint on the migratory habits of doves. I don’t see why current practices would need to be addressed. Maybe a hard core dove hunter could chime in.

6. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    Where has Daniel been ?

I’m sure he has an opinion

7. xtrema2

xtrema2 8 pointer

Dec 18, 2005
    henderson
    I think it's hilarious, one bad year for ducks and everyone wants to attack the guys with flooded corn, ice eaters, heated ponds, ducks unlimited, delta waterfowl, waterfowl refuges. I mean, what's next, are we gonna blame lay out blinds for being too effective, or how about decoys for being too realistic. Seriously people, its nothing more than weather, that's it. As long as there is warm temperatures and no snow up north we will not have many ducks. If it snows a foot and temps get below freezing in the northern states, then we'll have birds, simple as that.

hunt-4-life21 and Rod S. like this.
  8. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY

While we're at it, yes, I blame Dakota decoys, and Tanglefree

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  9. xtrema2

xtrema2 8 pointer

Dec 18, 2005
    henderson
    I can believe that you would.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  10. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine

First and foremost the salty regulars around here can testify I have maintained a steady stream of hate for “corn clubbers” for many years now.

Secondly anyone with half a brain knows that this years lack of migration is due to the weather.

However, anyone with an entire fully functional brain knows and will admit mankind has made a significant imprint on the behavior of migratory birds. With the channelization of rivers/streams, man made duck parks, unnatural practice of growing ag crops with zero intent to harvest but to flood in order to bait migratory birds, and even going as far as dumping loads of wheat and other grains to keep numbers up on certain state grounds, just to name a few practices.

I for one welcome a season just like this one for 3 more years straight. It should thin the herd.

I would like to see things make a slight return to the natural order.

KDT

DH13 and Rod S. like this.
  11. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    And I wish someone would explain to me what a “heated pond” consist of.

KDT

12. xtrema2

xtrema2 8 pointer

Dec 18, 2005
    henderson
    First and foremost, as a salty regular on this site as you call it, i know you have a problem with corn clubbers. I just dont know why.

I would also say that mankind has made a significant imprint on the behavior of all wild animals not just migratory birds.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  13. xtrema2

xtrema2 8 pointer

Dec 18, 2005
    henderson
    Whether I hunt corn or dont is not what my problem is with your opinions. My problem is that as long as hunters are hunting legally, why dont people leave them alone. We as hunters are under enough criticism as it is without us criticizing each other. If you wanna hunt corn then great, if you dont then that's fine too. Bottom line if it's legal then dont worry about it. That's the problem with this whole world if you ask me, too many people worrying about what or how someone else is doing something.

Cape Hillian, Capttrae and Rod S. like this.
  14. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    So we are going to make this a conversation about legality? I have no problem with anyone operating within the confines of the law. I applaud it.

The law is what I have a very problem with. Nobody whom I have ever had this conversation with has said with a straight face “growing corn within the boundaries of a flood control structure with zero intent to harvest, but to flood with the intent to lure waterfowl for sport hunting is a natural agriculture practice!”

Let’s wipe the lipstick off the hog and call it what it’s is. BAITING plan and simple.

It’s right up there with shooting a bear over a garbage can.

Poor birds just want to eat and they get shot.

There is zero sport in that. Zero effort in regards to understanding the lay of the land, scouting, and the pure chase that puts the sport in sportsman.

I won’t argue the legality. There is no argument to be had.

As far as criticism is concerned, it’s my opinion that corn clubbers are lesser hunters. Anyone can set over a feed trough and shoot some hungry animal.

I think it’s halarious when ones defense of their stance becomes debate over the legality of the topic at hand and even more so when hunters play the scrutiny card because another hunter disagrees.

To take this a step farther, from a ethical stand point explain the differiance between Joe corn clubber and Rickie corn sack? I understand the legality side but nobody can argue the ethical side because there is zero difference in the two methods.

KDT

Meatstick and FOWLER2671 like this.