Coons

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by Gooser, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Gooser

Gooser 6 pointer

Dec 16, 2009
    Taylorsville
    I have two and half acres all woods except my house!! My trash cans got raided and one of my chickens that was broady I had in a cage got pulled through and taken all there was a pile of feathers!! Looked around saw coon paw prints went and got two dog proof traps and set them with a month and a half I got 26 coons and have not caught another!!! My question how many coons can live on a small place??? I have all respect for you trappers people should let all of you trap there farms to keep all the predators in check instead off complaining about no turkeys or less deer and rabbits!!!!! If I had a bigger place and land I would let you all trap no problem wouldn’t ask for nothing except you catch as many as you can!!! Thanks for trapping keep at them!!!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    OLE RASPY, barney, woodsman92 and 4 others like this.
  2. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 8 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    When the bandits find a food supply they will travel to get there I've trap them for deer hunters that would have trail camera pictures of coons eyes looked like Christmas lights all lit up ... You did good. And thank you for supporting trappers

3. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Never ending supply around here. They've slacked up in the last month a little, but I always have a new crop come summer seems like

barney and Gooser like this.
  4. Gooser

Gooser 6 pointer

Dec 16, 2009
    Taylorsville
    Thanks I hope I put a check in the ones around here never new that many where here at my place I’ve been here 12 years they like showed up out of nowhere I’ve seen one here and there but lol 26 there must have had a breeding frenzy!!! More than Half was male.

Meatstick likes this.
  5. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    They'll be back

6. Gooser

Gooser 6 pointer

Dec 16, 2009
    Taylorsville
    I’ll be ready this time lol!!

7. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I may be dealing with some smart coons. Idk. Didn’t figure they were very smart. Lol. I’ve got 3 coons on trail cam I’m guessing the same 3 for the last month or so. I’ve tryed several diff baits. So this past weekend I used peanut butter dog food and vanilla flavoring. They are on my camera walking right by it all weekend. Didn’t catch nothing. Got a possum to. I’m not givin up though. Dang coons.

Gooser likes this.
  8. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 8 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Just a thought but if you've caught some in the exact same spot you may move traps a few feet away wrap aluminum foil around top of dog proofs it atracks them

Gooser likes this.
  9. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I’ve caught 15 in exact same spot. So I’ll give that a try. Thanks.

Gooser likes this.
  10. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Several colder nights coming....I bet you catch them.

Gooser and OLE RASPY like this.
  11. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 8 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    It kinda create death circle may have seen his buddy get caught there

Gooser likes this.
  12. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I’m sure one of them may not have a toe. Had a pullout and it left its toe behind. Had another pullout and just a hint of blood. So these may be the ones I’m dealing with. Idk
    Or something killed them and pulled them out. Didn’t have camera on it then.

Gooser likes this.
  13. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 8 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    LoL that does make them remember if you can find the trail hang you a snare he'll be there next morning... If you just want to use dog proofs then pile grass leaves around it so it doesn't look like trap

Gooser and OLE RASPY like this.
  14. Gooser

Gooser 6 pointer

Dec 16, 2009
    Taylorsville
    I got a three legged opossum running around here two he left one behind for me!!. I did what trapper delk said I moved my traps i dryed up on my spots where I got my 26 or they got smarter!!!