Coons and more Coons

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Back in the 70's, when the old Mammoth Cave hotel was still there, we would go over and feed the coons at least once a week. You walk up, and sit down on the steps. Rattle a bag of anything, and they'd come out in droves. We fed them anything from dogfood, marshmallows, crackers, etc. They loved vanilla wafers. It was nothing to have 15 at your feet, and 4-5 climbing on you like in this video. It was a lot of fun. They were very gentle, and I never got nipped. I was smart enough to not tease them. Like all things, this came to an end when someone did get bitten.

BenP

Fawn
Nov 7, 2020
Ashland
Lol, reminds me of my first encounter with a coon. Thinking it was a possum digging in the trash again, I grabbed a shovel and cornered it. It was dark and we had a bunch of stuff sitting around on the back porch. Getting ready to strike it, it ran up the wall and jumped right over me. Gave me a good scare!

I have never seen them like this though. Looks like they could make a cute pet.

luvtohunt

10 pointer
Sep 1, 2011
Eubank, Ky
Dated a girl in high school who had a family pet coon. It was a big ole boar that they found as a kitten. It got smart enough to get into the house on its own and learned how to open the fridge. Couldn't get out of the fridge when the door closed behind it though. They had French doors with the handle style openers that run parallel with the ground. It would climb up and sit on the handle til the door cracked open then push its way in. Eventually it left and never came back.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
If he is not willing to do “the right thing” I’ll be happy to offer my services. I see a lot of toothpricks.

10lb of hot dogs and a bag of grapes at Walmart is about $120 now.

muddhunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2005
louisville
If he is not willing to do “the right thing” I’ll be happy to offer my services. I see a lot of toothpricks.

10lb of hot dogs and a bag of grapes at Walmart is about $120 now.
You talk about those coon peckers a lot. What are you getting for them? I have a small coffee can full of them.

Latest posts