Coonhunting effects on Deer hunting

Discussion in 'Coon Hunting' started by kycooner, Oct 16, 2012.

1. kycooner

kycooner 8 pointer

May 2, 2007
  2. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Yes and some people think big foot is real also. Im not buying it.

3. pullemfar

pullemfar Fawn

Feb 18, 2010
    I agree with those findings, however only if trash running dogs aren't pushing the deer.

4. Danny Roberts

Danny Roberts Fawn

Dec 3, 2008
    George Holler, Ky.
    I've coonhunted and deer hunted the same ground all my life and have seen NO effect on t
    he deer at all.

5. Bowhunter.35

Bowhunter.35 8 pointer

Jul 2, 2012
    Louisville
    I don't care no coon hunting is going to take place on our land.

6. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Fact of the matter is that a dog is going to run a deer from time to time . Whether its a young dog just starting that takes off on one or a dog that hasnt been in the woods enuff or whatever the cause its a given it happens. It has been happening for more years than anyone here has been alive and the deer have survived . Matter of fact they have gotten thicker year after year even in states that use dogs to hunt the deer. I think the problem is the deer and the dogs are smarter than the hunters .

7. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Who wants a deer they are trying to kill ran off to another property by tresspassers AKA coon hunters? I dont know a single rabbit hunter or bird hunter that has to run a GPS on there dogs to be able to find them, They will run shock collars to keep them where they are supose to be, I dont care what you say coon hunters tresspass.

8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Would you coon hunters turn your dogs out on a property that your buddys had already hunted a few hours before? Even if they didn't kill any coons?

9. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

You need to drop in on the small game forum and see current discussions from both rabbit and bird hunters running GPS technology ... Me included. You guys just have a bias against night/dog hunting ... Nothing new ... Just admit it, because science and the observations of dog men don't support what you're claiming.

10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I love huntin' with my dogs! I'm sayin' no hunter in their right mind would wan't to drive for hours to hunt a property that had just been hunted from one end to the other by a bunch of dogs.

Would you grouse hunt a holler that me and my dog had just hunted?
    [​IMG]

11. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

You're talking to the wrong guy. I spend most of the fall up north grouse hunting public land, where it is not unusual for a cover to get hit by 2 different parties in the same day and still produce quality hunting. I do a lot of "in and out" hunts that are not unusual to produce more on the way out. Dogs just don't run game out of an area ... They simply adjust and go on about their day.

BTW ... Nice pic ... I love squirrel hunting with a good dog ... Looks like pretty good shootin too.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  12. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    I have hunted hollers many times right behind grouse hunters coming out of it with sucess. So without a doubt I would hunt a holler behind a squirrel dog for grouse.Same scenario, I won a Tournament on the river fishing down a bank behind to other tournament boats. Me and another member on here pulled into a favorite hunting area in the north woods just as two gentlemen were leaving with two springers . We decided to go ahead and hunt the area and had one of the best days of our trip.Game moves constantly during the day alot of times and what wasnt there when you came thru doesnt mean 5 minutes later it isnt walking thru your tracks. I can understand someone who has a big buck nailed down and not wanting it stirred up but I dont understand all the annimosity towards fellow hunters of any kind. The mindset of mine mine all mine nobody elses . Its just not like that around here and I for one am very glad it isnt. I dont condone anyone trespassing and trampling someones property or tearing things up on someones land . I have land and have also had this happen, but I sure didnt damn a particular group of hunters for it. I done my best to find out who it was and put a stop to it. If someones dogs venture on my land and tree late at night I would honestly prefer that the hunters come get there hounds and not wake me. If it happens again and again or something comes up missing or torn down then we would have a talk .

13. robert

robert Fawn

Jan 24, 2009
    eastern ky
    i can not see why deer hunters are so down on coon hunters,i coon hunted all my life and deer hunted for most of it and i know for a fact that coon hunting does not hurt deer hunting i remember back when there were no deer here where i live and you could hunt anywhere and people did not mind but when they stocked the deer and they started having a deer season every body started posting all the land and will not let anyone on it hunting or not.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  14. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I dont hate or dislike coonhunters, but to say they dont effect deer is stupid. If you tree in someones 10 ac of woods and then come in and shoot out a coon or just get your dog and raise a racket a mature deer is going to get spooked, maybe not a doe or young buck but the good ones are going to be effected. Ive had coon hounds tree under the hood of my truck and went outside while they were standing on the hood and trying to eat threw the grill. Its not the dogs fault but the hunter, he doesnt care as long as his GPS tell him were his dog is, if he didnt have a locating devise he would stay with it or keep it in closer. They can sit in there truck and ride the roads all while tracking the dog when he stops and trees it will tell them where ! all while the dog has just ran threw multiple farms. Which shows no respect to land owners.

15. robert

robert Fawn

Jan 24, 2009
    eastern ky
    people that think's coon hunting hurts deer hunting has not coon hunting very much,i have seen dogs 30 yards of deer and they never even spook now i will say that not all dogs are broke from running deer but most coon hunters do not hunt a dog that will run deer or other off game.