Coonhound shot...lawsuit filed

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by grouseguy, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    The point is the shooter didn't obey the law and some you are sticking up for him over the guy that merely wanted to retrieve his dog. The point is that the PETA connection in Ky. has tried for years to stop coonhunting and has put a mark on it by mostly doing away with shake out season. The point is that nobody is condoning trespassing, only that landowners be a bit tolerant of coonhunters and the right to retrieve hunting dogs when they enter their lands in the pursuit of game. The point is landowners don't need to bitch about animals eating them out of house and home if they can't let folks hunt and do something about it, this goes for coons as well. Coons eat as much corn a year as does a deer. The point is that some of you guys have missed the points?

2. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I think it has yet to be determined whether or not the shooter broke a law, and if so, to what extent? The problem I have with it is that if land owners and responsible hunters start condoning the breaking of a law to "merely" trespass to get your dogs, then the next thing you know they are just "merely" trying to cut through your land. Then they are just "merely" hunting on private property. The law is the law, and if you break it, you break it.. It's doesn't work to tell a cop that you are "merely" a little drunk, or "merely" speeding. There is a point in which you are either right or wrong.

It seems like you will always take the side of a hunter, no matter the circumstance. I however view hunters who break the law by trespassing and poaching as a far bigger danger to our sport then the antis could ever dream of being. If the anti's actually have their sights on the hunters of KY (which I highly doubt based on what I have seen) then the unethical and non-law obiding hunters are the ones supplying the ammo.

It's unfortunate that in this sport the actions of a few can harm everyone else who choose to follow the rules. At the end of the day, if this hunter could have stayed on his own property, this would have never of happened. If he thought his dogs could possibly end up on a horse farm and was ok with that, then he should have been prepared for what could possibly happen to his dogs.

This whole mess has no doubt caused a riff amongst hunters and horse/land owners in that area that will be difficult to repair. If nothing else, it's probably a good thing that the dog did NOT harm the horse or it would have been a much bigger ordeal I'm sure. I'm not against coon hunters or Houndsmen at all, or any type of hunter for that matter as long as they do things according to law. I just hate to see all of this negative fallout over something that could have been so easily avoided. No hard feelings towards anyone.

3. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.

4. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  5. Nathan N.

Nathan N. 6 pointer

Dec 16, 2003
    Richmond, Kentucky.
    You have valid arguments.....not intending to pick at your post but this triggers a legitimate question...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  6. WBBP

WBBP 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Nathan:

If all coon hunters were like you, it wouldn't be a problem.

In general if there are coon hunters hunting adjacent to my land and their dog wanders on to my property, I would want them to simply retrieve the dog and go back to hunting on land they have permission to be on. In reality, calling the landowner is probably not an option since he probably doesn't live there and it is 2:00 AM in the morning, no cell phone service, etc.... I wouldn't mind later if the hunter called me during normal hours and mentioned that they had to retrieve a dog from my property. This would be a good opportunity to establish a relationship with me and ask for permission to coon hunt, which I may agree to if I trust the person.

Now that farms are so cut up and trending smaller, you really need to know who owns the farms next to where you are hunting prior to actually letting the dogs loose and hunting there. If more coon hunters would do this, I think that alot of the problems would disappear. This issue is mostly about communication with landowners.

Multi: Why do you continue to make this personal and try to label some posters on here as being anti-hunting, silver spoon, etc,. Your comment about letting one poster meet up with Wayne (Houndsmen Association) and offer constructive criticism, is another bullying tactic-and you know what I am talking about. The tactics that you use work against what you are trying to accomplish IMO. As is true in most cases, a minority of hunters in each sport is causing a backlash with landowners and are responsible for the "slow" death of this sport-I am not just talking about coon hunting either.

7. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY

Last edited: Jul 9, 2005
  8. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.

9. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.

10. Butch

Butch 6 pointer

Jul 8, 2005
    Richmond
    I haven't gotten to read all 13 pages of this thread but I would go with the owner of the dog...the guy was shooting past legal shooting hours if I understand the law right...the officer said that he could tell if it was a dog or a coyote...

I'm betting the guy that shot the dog will plead insane...don't they all these days!!

But..... I'm thinking that the guy will get off the hook...because the dog was on his land.

Butch

11. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I still don't get it. As the law reads, and the way that i understand it, the horse owner did NOT do anything wrong in THIS situation. What he thought he was shooting is of little importance, what he hit is. This has nothing to do with what he claimed to do on previous nights. Here is the law.

KRS 258.235: Authority to kill or seize dog; proceeding by person attacked by dog; disposition of dog after seizure; powers of dog warden or animal control officer; vicious dog not to run at large

(2) Any unlicensed dog, not accompanied by its owner or keeper, that enters any field or inclosure where livestock or poultry are confined shall constitute a private nuisance and the owner or tenant of such field or inclosure, or his agent or servant, may kill or seize such dog while it is in the field or inclosure, without liability or responsibility of any nature for killing, injuring from an attempt to kill, or for seizing the dog.

To me, it will come down to whether or not the hunter was determined to be with or NOT with his dog. I would think that if you are going to retrieve the dog, then it'll be hard to prove it was in his possession, because if it was the he wouldn't need to retrieve it, right? Coyotes and all this other stuff has NO bearing on this as best I can tell.

I am not a coon hunter and I have nothing against them, but if I were and I read the said law (or statute) above, I would be real leary about letting my $15,000 dollar dog run a coon for miles (in horse country), and then try to complain about the outside world not seeing things like he does.

I honestly feel for the hunter and his loss. I wish it never happened. Multi, you may be right, but I just don't see how the law comes down so hard on the horse owner, and nothing happens to the hunter? It's like what came first, the chicken or the egg? If I were the horse owner, I don't think I would have been so quick to pull the trigger, but then again I don't know what it's like to own horses worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2005
  12. samjoe

samjoe 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2004
    fisherville ky
    multi,ive noticed you like to drop names,well heres a name for you and whayne,george washington.you know one of those guys who helped frame our rights in the constitution.go back and read the story multi,with an unbiased eye.its really very simple.there was a dog in the paddock with his THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLAR HORSE.the horse was running around like CRAZY.he came out the door and shot the SUMBITCH.old george would have been proud,why cause he was protecting his property.he was a landowner and it was his horse and the dog had the thing in a panic.you said he broke the law cause he was huntig coyotes BULLSHIT.he wasnt hunting coyotes he was probably asleep on his couch.i know its unlawful to hunt coyotes at night but there not a jury in this state that would convict me of shooting a marauding coyote in my barnyard at night.hunters rights...peta ....whayne....assholes...dog rights.......for us or against us.....direct violation of the law BLAH BLAH BLAH.A LANDMARK CASE?BULLSHIT.talk about self important bullshit.a first year lawstudent will get him out of this in 2 hours by hammering home the facts.you my friend are a master of twist.put that aside and reread the story.

13. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    The only way this guy will get off the hook is to buy the judge or pay someone off. Which might happen when dealing with these affluent types. :D

14. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    I've heard of George before. Do the history you'll find that he hunted Walker dogs from ole England. Yes, he was a coonhunter. Owned horses too.

The horse is fine....no damage, no injuries, no harm. The dog is dead. The asshole will pay for it.

As for hunting coyotes, doesn't matter if he was hunting or on the couch. the law says you can't shoot coyotes at night. this asshole admitted to doing so and doing so in the past (with the body count). He'll pay for what he did.

I'll be willing to wager on the out come of this case if you are . Put your money on the 1st year law student or OJ's law team, the guy will pay. The only question is how much.

15. samjoe

samjoe 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2004
    fisherville ky
    we will see.weather george hunted coons is irrevalent.the horse is ok because the landowner took care of the threat.the asshole did pay for it,his dog is dead.as for a wager with you ,i dont know you or from what i read dont care to so i will pass.