Coonhound shot...lawsuit filed

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by grouseguy, Jun 21, 2005.

1. WBBP

WBBP 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    On the land that I own, we once had a neighbor that decided to kill a buck out of season with a slug. He walked up the old dirt/gravel road, crossed my gate and no hunting signs and did the deed. We eventually figured out who it was by following his muddy tracks back to his house. He never did it again.

Coon hunters really aren't a problem on the land that I own, but neighbors pets are or have been in the past. Most of the neighbors denied their pets ever left their yard or land when questioned. :eek:

Honestly, turkey hunters may be the worst tresspassers and represent the most danger. I did see a tresspasser last year illegally hunting on the neighbors property. He saw me and took off on a dead run back toward his land.

2. dipits

dipits 8 pointer

Dec 20, 2003
    Ky..
    I have had problems with Deer; Turkey and coon hunters.
    Turkey and deer hunters were local and now under control.
    Coon hunters seem to come from everywhere and never someone I know.

Have also been asked by strangers to deer or turkey hunt.
    Outside of two local hunters I hve never been asked by anyone to coon hunt.

3. Nathan N.

Nathan N. 6 pointer

Dec 16, 2003
    Richmond, Kentucky.

You know, its been my experience in coonhunting away from home that if you just go and ask permission, most of these farmers will let you hunt, and usually encourage you to come back again sometime.

4. Slickhunter2.0

Slickhunter2.0 6 pointer

Oct 13, 2004
    I agree in all truth we make this horse owner out to be the bad guy but just as easily we could do the same to the dog onwer a dog can kill a horse

5. greytail

greytail 8 pointer

Jun 3, 2004
    Knot Co. Ky.
    I am kind of wondering what would happen if this would have taken place. Say there was a storm and tree fell across the fence and the guys $300,000 horse got out and was on John Does private property and John Doe wasn’t available, would he go retrieve his horse without permission? Or lets look at this possibility. What if the horse had gotten out of the padlock like horses do from time to time and come up on someone’s kennel that housed a high priced hunting dog. The horse was standing in plain view of the dog and the dog was barking at the horse like dogs will do and was trying to get out of the kennel and possibly getting hung on the kennel and hurting himself. Ask yourselves, would this give the dog owner right to shoot the $300,000 horse? I feel this shooting stuff goes both ways and I guarantee PETA is loving this story.
    I own property with woods and hunting on it in two counties. Yes if someone is hunting on it I would like to know who is on my land. If someone’s dog comes on it I think it is fine for him or her to retrieve it without my permission.If its 2 Am or I’m unavailable. Not saying its right for everyone but its Ok with me. I guess I’m old fashion and from the old school. If someone’s horse is on it I also think its fine for him or her to retrieve it without my permission.
    I think it is a sad day for me as an American, neighbor and a hunter when I would shoot someone’s animal for getting on my property accidentally. I don't blame anyone for protecting his or her property but realistically thinking I think the shooter of the dog could have caught the coon hound and held it for the owner. I have done this several times. Do into others as you shale have others do in to you.