Coon Hunters Trespassing Last Night

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by applemann, Aug 15, 2021.

1. I agree 100% that no one should trespass for any reason and any hunter whether you’re a Deer, coon hunter etc should get to know the adjoining property owners and get permission to retrieve a dog or a deer before hand. But most don’t want to do the work. I’m guilty of trespassing for both reasons discussed in this thread but I guarantee you so are the ones that are complaining about coon hunters. It’s been my experience that most deer hunters hate us guys that hunt with dogs. But when they can’t find a wounded deer I bet they are calling on a tracking dog. Like someone said in a previous post all hunters need to get along and help each other cause we have enough people against us already.

DBKY and Winchester94 like this.
  2. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    I'm a trapper!
    I ask
    I get permission
    They trespass
    I loose traps

3. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Right. And the best way for you to get along with other hunters is to stay the hell off of their property. Don't you agree?

4. raidergson

raidergson 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2010
    Garrard County
    Quit placing hotdogs as bait on them….

Trapper Delk likes this.
  5. raidergson

raidergson 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2010
    Garrard County
    Even giving permission to retrieve beforehand can be abused. Did this for one renting up the road once, and my cameras picked up 3 buddie cooners and him running around for 2 hours “retrieving” …. Later when I ran into him that week, he was honest and told me his dog crossed and thanked me. I knew that his “retrieving” really was leaving after the dog was done doing what coon dogs do. I was going to put a stop to it after the first year, but he moved, and that solved the problem.

6. clovis67

clovis67 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2008
    “Most Coon Hunters” do whatever..whenever ..in my experience.They use the dog as an excuse to go wherever…. they think that just because they are out in the late night hours..that they can go basically anywhere….No coincidence that when the Coonhounds show up… stuff starts to disappear…and I don’t mean just deer… I’m talking about someone with sticky fingers…

7. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Yep times have definitely changed. My lady’s Grandfather and uncles were big time Coonhunters in Breathitt Co. 30 so years ago. Everybody knew them within 20 miles. Probably ended up on a dozen different property’s in one night. Never a problem.

The biggest farm in my area is a little over 2000 acres but there’s not a lot of woods plus the owner is currently leasing it out for a hunting rights only at $14,000 year. Other than that in my area most farms are anywhere from 50 to 300 acre tracks with little woods so how the hell do you expect When you put your dogs out there’s not gonna be the potential to cross property lines yet they do.

8. If I don’t have permission yes. But if I have permission I have just as much right as anyone.

Meatstick likes this.
  9. I don’t coon hunt much at all anymore but I do squirrel hunt with dogs. If I’m hunting property that has deer hunters I will pull out during deer season and go somewhere that is not being deer hunted. Do I have to?no because I have permission but I try and have respect for other hunters plus I don’t want someone shooting my dog.

Tankt likes this.
  10. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    One funny story I will share. We have a old fella that coon hunts our place by himself with one dog. Never a problem he always lets me know when he’s on his way. Well last summer we had a big get together at the farm with a wagon ride planned all around showing off crops, cattle etc. I come around the bend and smell something dead, as I make the turn there are three big rotting coons hanging off the top strand of Barbwire in full view of my 20 wagon passengers. I didn’t really get upset but did have to have a conversation with old man and ask him nicely to throw those damn things in a ditch next time that he did not need to prove to me that he killed them by leaving them

barney, DBKY, jblack1 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    That’s cheap on that lease.

12. grinder

grinder 10 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    WRONG! If its anyones property but yours you DON’T have a right, you have a privelage, that can be revoked at any time.

13. True and that’s up to the land owner.

14. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Improper collar conditioning.

15. jblack1

jblack1 12 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    Some replies indicate that as long as you don't know or find out then you shouldn't get irritated when you do find out.

I'll take my name as the asshole that doesn't want you on the property that I pay hard earned money for....

Example is a neighbor leasor doesn't want us on his lease for any reason but thinks we should let him walk our land with his curs because he has for the last 50 years.

I watched his dog chase 3 bucks across my back field last year on opening day, I'll try to be more observant this year and be ready on the trigger...
    on 2 different species.... He's been warned before...

inlaws family and been properly warned....