Coon Hunters Trespassing Last Night

applemann

Fawn
Aug 18, 2017
I have owned a small tract of rural property that I have enjoyed for 30 years. My reason I own it is providing me and my sons a place of our own to deer hunt. I do many things to facilitate deer hunting such as food plots, land and forestry practices etc. Last night around midnight I happened to be nearby and stopped to check something in my barn. As I was leaving, I found a truck parked at my other entrance gate and some men on my property
with headlights and flashlights. I had no idea what they were doing, I was stunned and stopped my truck. One of the two announced "can I help you?" I was calm but kinda angry
to get questioned by THEM. Asked what they were doing and they said coon hunting. They said had permission from my neighbor and they were close to the property line. "We have been hunting here for 40 years" didn't make me feel any better. Bottom line I told them not trespass on my property and respect the property line. It was too obvious they when I left they were going to go and do whatever and wherever they wanted to off the blacktop road. I read where coon hunting opens Oct 1st. I really resent this situation. I do all I can to attract and hold deer all thru the year and they and their dogs come in a few nights and disrupt my deer paradise. Please comment.

applemann

Fawn
Aug 18, 2017
He very quickly told me his name and where he lived. I was surprised this was going on, maybe I am just not informed. I guess if he does not actually kill a racoon, he figures he can run his dogs anyway? He had a fancy handheld GPS to track where his dogs were, seemed to have some money invested in coon hunting with dogs. I have had bear hunters do the same thing on my property in West Virginia. They seem to have an attitude of they can just do whatever they want.

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
Salyersville, Ky
As far as disrupting your deer hunting, you'll be fine. Your deer won't leave the area unless they are there a ton, running them out in the night a couple times a month is nothing. I agree with Tankt on the other stuff though, its one thing if you're just getting your dogs back on a piece of property but all together something else if they're smartasses about being caught there. Then a man would have to do what he has to do.

applemann

Fawn
Aug 18, 2017
Thanks for the replies! I had to vent some frustration. get some opinions make sure I was not out of line with my resentment. My sons have taken some real nice bucks on our place over the past few years and I would hate for it to get messed up.

beauhunter41031

12 pointer
Jan 1, 2018
Cynthiana, Ky
Coonhunters are going to do whatever the flying hill they want to because 9/10 nobody feels like going out at 3 o’clock in the morning and confronting them. If you want to talk about getting pissed off about something wait till they leave gates open and your cattle get out or mixed up.

I remember old men telling me that Coonhunters were just undercover marijuana farmers. they would have plants all through your property that you’d never know about and come check them at night “coonhunting”

raidergson

10 pointer
Dec 10, 2010
Garrard County
Well I wouldn’t like it as it seems no nighttime activity seems better than barking dogs, and just their attitude towards the freedom to trespass, but it seems you have done alright, hunting wise, in the past as this has happened for 40 years. Optimistically, you could believe that they might actually be doing you a favor, and might actually run more deer towards you since they constantly hit your neighbor hard. Who knows.

Last edited:

dirthole

8 pointer
Feb 8, 2013
Kentucky
We as hunters should all get along we have enough people that’s not in the hunting world against us any way. I understand it’s your land and you evidently don’t want anyone on your land. I’m not trying to argue with you maybe just try to make you and some others understand from a different point of view. Coon hounds cost thousands of dollars these days and let’s say they did turn loose on your neighbors place and trees a coon on your deer paradise. If you was them would you leave a 6 to 10 thousand dollar dog over there just because it crossed over the fence? If you was in there shoes I say you would not. If they get in there and get their dog and don’t bother nothing then there is really no harm. The coon hunters and the dogs will not scare your deer herd. If any thing it will save you money keeping dang coons out of your corn pile.