Cooking Wood Info

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by C.L.Button, May 27, 2007.

1. chasinhornsnfans

chasinhornsnfans 6 pointer

May 16, 2008
    marion county
    i work in a distillery and have tried the staves, but what i like the most is putting as much char and bungs as i can that have been in our dump traughs soaking all day over the heat. only down fall is the char sometimes falls through the grate and after so much falls it will tend to flame up

2. Shiz-Nit

Shiz-Nit 10 pointer

Nice post! Looks like you know your wood:rolleyes::D. All jokes aside I have used this and found grape vines are really good with pork and a nice glass of white grape wine;)

3. polecatcustoms

polecatcustoms Sponsor

Aug 6, 2013
    Paris Ky
    Has anyone heard of smoking with green hickory nuts, shell and all?

4. C.L.Button

C.L.Button 12 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Derby City Jungle
    Also Beechnuts, Walnuts and Acorns. Not alot of smoke as they quickly become coals or embers.

5. Scoony

Scoony 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2003
    Radcliff
    Persimmons wood is really nice for venison loin steaks. Put some on the coals for grilling then place the lid on the grill for the last minute or two. It adds a nice smoky/pepper flavor

6. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    Thank you, C.L. This is very helpful information. Wouldn't you know, I am out of ink. I would like to print this for future reference.

Hillfarm likes this.