Cooking wild turkey

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by spanky116, Apr 25, 2021.

1. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Grilled. Could not believe how good it was last year for our first wild turkey.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  2. ABLongbow

ABLongbow 6 pointer

Aug 10, 2018
    Morgan County
    I take boneless half of breast lay it in crock pot with dry rub barbecue sauce and water cook it for five or six hours falls apart like pulled pork I usually make soup out of the legs

3. I couldn’t agree more but let’s be honest here, how many wild turkey breasts do you eat a year? I never get enough to get tired of breaded and fried but if you do, salute!

Nock likes this.
  4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Usually at least 3, sometimes 4 birds. My two, and Daddy's 1 or 2. Gonna be less than that this year though, lol.

5. I hunt TN too so I usually get at least 2-3 myself, though I’m not too proud to admit I got skunked last season..

6. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Pentails sundried tomato mushroom wild turkey is hard to beat and its fancy.
    I like to debone the thighs (save thighs for spinach/mushroom stuffed thighs). Take both thigh bones throw them in the bottom of instant pot , 3 cups of chicken broth or water, trivet in pot ,One lobe of breast on trivet, salt & pepper. Lid on high pressure for 20 minutes, natural release 10 minutes. Remove breast to carving board. Trivet & bones removed from pot. Instant pot on sauté and add half stick of butter . Once boiling mix in corn starch and water slurry. 3 tablespoons each. Once it thickens, turn off and remove pot . To stop cooking
    Slice turkey breast and serve with red skin mash , corn bread stuffing and gravy on everything

claynut69, rcb216, barney and 7 others like this.
  7. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Crushed up some “everything bagel” Ritz crackers as breading on some diced up breast with Dan O’s seasoning this weekend, turned out Dan good

8. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    If you are substituting wild turkey for domestic turkey in any recipe that involves cooking the breast whole, or nearly so, I suggest you consider taking the time to remove all the silver meat tendons in the wild turkey in any recipe. I also remove tendons prior to cutting up to fry wild turkey strips or nuggets.

. I use a really sharp thin knife and just slide it down the tendons on each side , as I find them in the breast. One obvious one is on/in the small tender that is next to the breast bone. Others run through the main part of the breast and all can be removed with some time and a thin really sharp knife....I just get cut in next to, and parallel to the targeted tendon and slide the knife bade tight to one side of the tendon till you get to the end of ti. Then do the same thing on the other side of the tendon. You will end up with a far more tender edible wild turkey breast ( or pieces thereof) by removing all tendons. iMO

9. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Alright..so i tried this..and it is absolutely worth it. 2nd best way ive tried it next to deep frying.

10. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Well...uh.. yeah, it's got BACON in da recipe lol

Feedman, bondhu, drakeshooter and 3 others like this.
  11. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    I like it many different ways. My favorite is to slice the breast cross grain, roll in Kentucky Colonel seasoned flour, deep fry and have dipping sauces. I swing by Zaxbys and pick up some of their sauce packets (quarter apiece), last week I had both the regular sauce and their spicy variety. A good quality ranch will work too.

The legs and thighs, crockpot and make turkey salad. I like it paired with croissants and (Miracle Whip, white grapes, & celery).

This year I fried the heart, liver, and gizzard too. I have been doing that with the Sandhill Cranes, so why let the turkeys go to waste. I will be eating them from now on.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    drakeshooter, barney and bgkyarcher like this.
  12. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Lol. True..hard to screw anything up with bacon.

13. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    I don’t understand that at all. Can I come over and you show me? Of course whenever you get a bird. I’ll bring the cornstarch! :p

bondhu and drakeshooter like this.
  14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Dang it, good call. I haven't kept them since I quit cleaning the whole bird.

Snareman2 likes this.