Cooking wild turkey

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by spanky116, Apr 25, 2021.

1. spanky116

spanky116 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2005
    Garrad County, KY
    I've always pan fried mine and once I put it in the smoker and it did good. I was just looking for some other recipes that anyone has. Thanks

2. I don’t get a chance to eat enough to get tired of fried breast haha. My dad liked to boil the meat off the legs for bbq turkey sandwiches.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  3. thunderstorm

thunderstorm 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    Slice breast thin and marinade in McCormick's Garlic, Herb, & Wine marinade and throw it on the grill.

4. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I like the breast fried. Leg,and back meat boiled off slow and made into a turkey salad, or just sandwiches.
    The breast are also very good grilled, but you need to marinate and grill quickly. They tend to dry out pretty fast.

barney and drakeshooter like this.
  5. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I have some in the fridge at the moment..im thinking of marinating in a weak mixture of dales and cavenders..then wrapping in bacon and grilling. If i do i will report back.

barney likes this.
  6. east_ky_hunter

east_ky_hunter 8 pointer

Aug 29, 2010
    East Ky
    For the breast. Slice 1 thick. Pound out to 1/4 inch with meat mallet. Soak overnight in buttermilk. Dip in flour mixed with lots of Tony chacheries, garlic powder and pepper. Fry.

For the legs. Cook in crockpot until it falls off the bone. Add to dumplings. I make shortcut dumplings by boiling pot of water with 8 chicken bullion cubes and pepper. Take 4 of the cheap small canned biscuits and tear each biscuit in half and throw in the boiling water. Cook until the dumplings sink and cook a few minutes more. I like firm chewy dumplings and to not taste like bread. During the last 5-10 minutes of cooking add in the pulled turkey legs.

Snareman2 likes this.
  7. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Marinade breast in Italian dressing an hour or two and toss on the grill is simple and almost as good as fried...almost

Brody and barney like this.
  8. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I love chicken done like this..but dont care for the turkey like this. Doesnt make sense.

drakeshooter likes this.
  9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Cut some breast up in 1-1.5” chunks. Soak in ranch over night. Dredge in Cajun shoe lunch batter and fry it hot and fast. If you can’t get shore lunch, make your own if half and half four/corn meal mix and add Cajun seasoning. If you don’t like ranch, disregard

10. I can’t imagine why you’d want to cover up the taste of wild turkey breast but to each their own I suppose.

Bee likes this.
  11. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Lol nah it doesn't but I know the feeling all to well.

12. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    just throwing options out for the OP that sounded like he's looking for a different route than fried.
    I'd like to see how many days I could eat wild turkey & morels before I didn't like it. Just don't think it's possible lol

Nock, drakeshooter and dirtstalker like this.
  13. spanky116

spanky116 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2005
    Garrad County, KY
    Thanks everyone. I love it fried I was just going to try something different.

14. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Marinade the turkey in Teriyaki then wrap in bacon (grilled or broiled.) we use toothpicks to keep them together on the grill

roasted in the oven. Do not overcook!

15. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Floured and fried is my favorite. But variety is da spice of life.

drakeshooter, Feedman and dirtstalker like this.