conumbrum

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by bgkyarcher, Sep 6, 2021.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    How many of you have tagged out on a buck early? I shot my only velvet buck on opening day in 2009(low 130's). He was a very nice buck, and I'd do it again. But dang, I was lost the rest of that deer season. I could have killed several 120-130ishish bucks since then early. I've only killed 5 deer in my life bigger than that. Of course, killing a monster is a no brainer... bored I guess.

2. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Ive killed out early plenty of times. Now I don’t have any giants on the wall or anything. Good deer that get me excited though so I’m always happy. I kill early some years because I like to crappie fish, striper fish, and rabbit hunt the rest of the fall/winter. Some years though, I decide to just not get serious until Halloween and get my fishing in before and after rut.

GTbowhunter and Meatstick like this.
  3. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    The best time to kill a big deer is when you see him

4. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    I killed on Labor Day once. Didn’t like it come November. Now is the best time to pattern one but I’d rather hunt that 2/3 week time when you never know what my come by.

5. raidergson

raidergson 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2010
    Garrard County
    Everyone should do what floats your boat, and on one short stint in my life I did and lucked up during Sept., but I gotta say, without traditional MG deer camp, even others connecting via phone MG/ rut, I just wouldn’t enjoy the season….. that’s it…. The Season; to me, it means more than inches of bone. The woods should smell and feel like fall. Guess I’m a traditionalist, and more of one the older I get.

6. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    I killed opening weekend last year. I’ve done it other years too. Every time, tell myself not to do it again. Too hot, ticks, and the rest of the season left. I had afew good ones show up Friday night, but nothing on a regular basis. Last year, that opening weekend was amazing. I had bucks all over me, I was videoing, taking pics, and even had a new buck come in. Anyway, I ended up shooting one of my target bucks, still in velvet and very mature (filled out body). It is tough to get motivated when it’s hot out and they are not pattering well. Maybe when it gets cooler and I start seeing some scraped I will get more into it.

raidergson and Cornpile like this.
  7. PUBLIC RAT

PUBLIC RAT 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2014
    Shot a velvet buck back in sept 2012. Maybe 110,8 pt. Velvet hanging off rack with blood all over tines. Cool buck. Checked him in so come Nov went to get a doe. Waited by a thicket close to water. Heard grunting so I waited a while and finally a doe shot out of thicket followed by a small buck. Was getting crossbow set on doe when a huge buck, maybe 150 with thick bases ran within 10 yards of me. He had no idea I was there. In the confusion I never got a shot at doe,all I could do was watch that buck and curse at myself for shooting velvet buck.

rcb216, raidergson, JR PORTER and 2 others like this.
  8. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    My goal for the last several years is to kill a full velvet mature buck. I have achieved other goals i have set over the years. Just can't get it done in velvet. I know this is fixing to shock some people. But I have had a 150-160 buck in velvet less then 20 yards twice now an still haven't killed him already this year. Opening evening about 430. An then sunday about 530. Makes me sick at my stomac as I know this deer could shed an move on at anytime. 160 20 yards or less twice an no dice. Grrrr. To many eye balls on me when I had a shot an when the others were staring a hole through me it was behind brush. An didnt wanna push it. Going back in this afternoon. If I get 1 more chance I'm drawing regardless of how many is watching me.

Cornpile and CRFmxracer like this.
  9. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Idk how it feels cause I’ve never tagged out early. Never killed a good buck with my bow.
    Hopefully it’s Fixin to change. I got a goodun so we will see. Bigger than anything on my wall I think. I got a 142”. I just need a better view of him from the front. But it’s secret till after season cause I don’t air my laundry. Lol. Unless I kill him. Or if I find out somebody else does.

10. woodsman92

woodsman92 10 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    I’m a little pickier in the early season because I don’t know how well I’d handle the rut going on and me with no buck tag. I’ve never had to find out as I’ve never even came close to killing one in September despite my hunting it every year.

Cornpile likes this.
  11. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I’m just not a fan of bugs and heat. I’m a really big fan of deer camp though. I also like watching deer behavior during the rut. I like starting to hunt in October. To each their own

mykizha, raidergson and Cornpile like this.
  12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Geez.... conundrum. Idiot.

13. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    I’d happily kill a deer early season. I get so frustrated sometimes when hunting because I could be fishing or a million other things and feel like I’m wasting my time when I have an uneventful weekend in the woods. but I keep making that hour and a half drive. If I killed one early season I’d make myself available to any buddies needing help tracking or try to get kids or buddies on deer on my place.

Cornpile likes this.
  14. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Seen 8 bucks last nite 2 for sure shooters. All in range with no shot. Trimming more lanes out this afternoon as I go in. I dont care if I tag out this early or not. After seeing him again last nite i will give up all my doe tags for him as well. Haha This batcher group has kicked my tail the last 3 sets.

Nock and Cornpile like this.
  15. childersb24

childersb24 8 pointer

Mar 25, 2010
    It don’t hurt my feelings one bit killing out early. I don’t try as hard as I used to either so I usually don’t start hunting until late October. This year I started early only because I’m on freezer fill up mode