Controversial Video of Michigan Coyote Killing

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by JasonGoneFishing, Jan 21, 2015.

1. JasonGoneFishing

JasonGoneFishing 12 pointer

Nov 26, 2007
    Kentucky
    Anyone see this yet? What are your thoughts on this?

A video of a brutal coyote killing in Michigan’s Gogebic County raises ethical concerns.

The video opens with a hunter looking at a wounded coyote, which he says he’s shot several times. As the hunter calls in his tracking dogs to finish the job, the coyote lays motionless in the snow with its eyes blinking.
    “It’s a beautiful, beautiful coyote,” the hunter says, as he’s waits for his dogs to come. “This is going to be some live action!”
    The dogs tear at the coyote and eventually strangle it to death. All the while, the hunter behind the camera cheers them on.

Video Here: http://www.wideopenspaces.com/controversial-video-coyote-killing-michigan/

Update: http://www.wideopenspaces.com/men-f...n (25%)&utm_campaign=WOS_newsletter_1.21 - MI

2. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    I've hunted all my life and don't mind killing anything but there's no point in making something suffer anymore than it has too. Idiot should have just shot it instead of letting his dogs kill it and then posting it on YouTube for the world to see. Another moron giving hunters a bad name.

3. I have killed a lot of coyotes over the last 30+ years. That is something new to me and I personally would have NO interest in killing a coyote that way. IMO that is NOT a good or accurate portrayal of coyote hunters and their ethics.

4. jdp99

jdp99 Fawn

Jan 10, 2015
    Perry county
    I believe in a quick clean kill. This is disturbing to watch.

5. OldEarnhardtFan

OldEarnhardtFan 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2014
    Northeast of Berea
    It is our duty as hunters and trappers to dispatch any animal quickly and ethically. This guy is not a hunter or a trapper......he is the poster boy for anti-hunters everywhere.

6. redrivergar

redrivergar 6 pointer

Sep 24, 2011
    I didn't watch the video but it sounds like shake out season that coon hunters participate in. Don't the dogs usually kill the coon after it falls to the ground? I've never seen it but I understand that's the way it works.

7. redrivergar

redrivergar 6 pointer

Sep 24, 2011
    I stand corrected. Apparently there is no such thing as Shake out season. Must have dreamed that up. I hate to see any animal suffer. That's why I didn't watch the video

8. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    That's the way it use to work I don't know about now

9. KYBOB

KYBOB 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    Barren Co.
    Nope, a clean kill , or a clean miss

BoB

10. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County

I'm not sure what the law is now, but many years ago, there was what coon hunters called a "shakeout" season. I also heard it referred to as training season. Whatever the case, if they could kill a coon they usually did. I'm sure some of the houndsmen on here will sound off on this, but I have found that as a whole, coon hunters are some of the worst lawbreakers out there. Although, some deer hunters will give them a run for their money.

11. redrivergar

redrivergar 6 pointer

Sep 24, 2011
    My intent was not to bash coon hunters.

12. therookie

therookie 8 pointer

Aug 24, 2012
    Someone needs to shoot that guy. I will not watch the video. I am so striclty fair chase that I wont hunt over corn, salt, or any other bait, and I will not trap. The goal should be to put the animal down as quickly as possible. I dont care what kind of varmint it is. That animal deserves respect.

13. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    I suppose you don't bowhunt then because that's not the most efficient way to put an animal down quickly

14. therookie

therookie 8 pointer

Aug 24, 2012
    Not trying to ruffle any feathers and I dont know what me bow hunting has to do with this thread. But yes, I bow hunt. A good, ethical shot in the vitals will kill a deer in seconds. Nothing wrong with that at all. But there is something wrong with the individual who allows his dogs to kill a wounded animal while he stands over it with a gun.

15. sacmarata

sacmarata 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2014
    there
    I dont know the details of Michigans dog chase laws but I'll play devils advocate here and probably ask more questions than offer solutions but here goes.
    If they indeed have a dog chase season, I assume it means the dogs are allowed to kill the coyote. Any time one creature kills another with claw and fang it's gonna be a gruesome sight. So had the dogs caught the coyote before it was shot, the same fight would have likely ensued, except it would have lasted much longer, likely resulting in wounded dogs and a dead coyote.
    I assume to have coyote dogs, the dogs have to be trained to fight a coyote. How do you this? I can't think of an ethical way, other than to allow the dogs to dispatch a wounded animal that is likely to die anyway. I don't agree with it. Not a bit, but if it's legal to take a coyote with a dog, you have to have dogs trained to do so, and it seems that the only way (I can think of at least) is to allow them to take an animal that is about to expire and won't cause much injury.

The whole thing is kinda messed up assuming in MI it's legal to take coyote with a dog. How do you ethically train a dog to take another predator?

IMHO the hunter should have dispatched the coyote instead of allowing it to suffer. Maybe my thinking is too modern, but I just think it was uncalled for to allow the dogs to slowly kill an animal that couldnt fight back.