Computer soundcard problems....

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by nitrox28, Jan 10, 2009.

1. nitrox28

nitrox28 Banned

Aug 4, 2003
    Lexington, ky, USA.
    Here's the deal. My computer took a dump so I'm using an old Dell my brother had laying around until I buy a new one. I had to replace the hard drive, CPU fan, ethernet card, CD/R, and I added some PC133 memory. Since I've had this thing, I haven't been able to hear anything. I bought a 5.1 soundcard yesterday and still nothing! Winamp won't even act like an MP3 is playing. Videos play without the sound as do games. I've gone over and over and over this thing but I can't figure it out! Any thoughts? Updating the drivers didn't work. A new soundcard didn't work. I just don't know.

2. deerslayer61

deerslayer61 6 pointer

Dec 17, 2003
    vine grove, kentucky.
    I just had my computer repaired. I had lost my sound and my CD-rom would work sometimes and sometimes not. When I took it in to the repair shop, I was told that some of my drives had been corrupted. This required that my computer be completly gutted out and reprogramed. It runs great now, maybe even better. There is no sure anti-virus program that is 100%capable of stopping everything.

3. treerat

treerat 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2004
    Hickory KY
    there should have been a disc with the sound card,,that has the drivers on it,,,,you have to have them downloaded before your speakers will works,,

4. schroader

schroader 10 pointer

Dec 27, 2004
    down by the river,,,

That sound exactly right..... I think.... I have no idea:D

5. Quickdraw Limpsalot

Quickdraw Limpsalot 12 pointer

Sep 16, 2005
    Larue Co.
    Might also want to look in you Device Manager and make sure that if the motherboard has an on board sound card... that it's disabled if you're not using it.

6. With the Xp Program, most of the time if you have internet service. The PC will try and automatically find the audio card installed in the PC and then automatically find the drivers for it and let you install them.

7. nitrox28

nitrox28 Banned

Aug 4, 2003
    Lexington, ky, USA.
    Tried all of that with no results. Oh well. I'll just do without sound until I buy a new system in a couple of weeks. THANKS everyone.

8. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I highly recommend an IMac if you are buying something new, it will work especially well with your photography hobby.;)

9. Ky'sFinest

Ky'sFinest 10 pointer

i was going to say drivers. but assuming the drivers are installed correctly i would check to see if the sound card has been deactivated like sgt. mills said.

if that doesn't work try putting in th xp cd and not rebooting but use it to mirror your installed os and fix corrupted files.

good luck.

10. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    You're going to think I'm stupid....

Did you check the master system volume control?