Colt suspending AR15 production

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by bdl605, Sep 19, 2019.

1. bdl605

bdl605 6 pointer

Nov 18, 2006
    Lawrenceburg
    i just saw on the nightly news that colt is halting production/sales of AR15 to civilian market! Colt claims it’s due to market swings and slow sales due to competition. Colt claims “ there are plenty of ARs on the market” I’m not a die hard black gun guy myself I have s couple ARs one a really nice old colt but at this point I’m thinking about putting every colt firearm I own on the road! Just seems like odd timing for an established gun company who should care about the 2nd amendment to stop producing a rifle in the center of so much drama. Seems to send a really bad signal! Let’s try addressing some of the real issues with mental health, no parenting accountability, being able to address warning signs without fear of hurting someone’s feelings etc. Am I the only one thinking this way?

2. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    What I can’t understand ,the reasoning behind this announcement from colt, they’re still making these guns, marketing to military and police, so why make a big announcement you’re not marketing to the public.I think they’re playing both sides .

barney likes this.
  3. bdl605

bdl605 6 pointer

Nov 18, 2006
    Lawrenceburg
    That’s exactly what it seems like to me! That being said I am still reading on it and some people are saying colt will fire back up when their supply lowers. To me looks like a ploy to appease the liberals and take a little heat off them! If that’s the case I hope they never sell another firearm, very least I’ll not buy anymore if it is.

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Less than 4 years ago Colt was in chapter 11 bankruptcy. Up until then there were two companies under Colt. One was Colt Manufacturing and the other Colt Defense. The latter supplied M4’s for law enforcement & military contracts.

During the bankruptcy they restructured into just one company as part of the settlement.

So honestly.... I would take this info for face value and not read too much into it . Colts products are too high, quality down & sales are slow.

Colt has been trying to price their self out of business for a long time now.

ojibwa62, Cornpile and predator1 like this.
  5. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Basically what they are saying is “We’re overpriced and not near the quality of guns selling at half our price. We’ve lost our market share to the point it no longer makes sense to try and compete in the civilian market. Especially since we won military contracts and get to grossly overcharge the military at tax payers expense”

ratamahatta and Cornpile like this.
  6. bdl605

bdl605 6 pointer

Nov 18, 2006
    Lawrenceburg
    I agree with every point made above , but they’ve basically been over priced and poorer quality for some time now. I just think it’s gonna do nothing but give more ammo to the anti gun movement right now regardless of their reasoning! The verbiage especially not making them any longer for the civilian market but still producing for military and police!

7. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    Decided to revise my opinion. The Colt of today is not the Colt of yesterday it appears. Although the ones I have I like very much.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  8. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    It also could be they made a private agreement ,in the lawsuit that was filed in July ,about the Las Vegas shooting ,to suspend selling to citizens, who knows .

9. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    They are still marketing to the public , they are claiming there are plenty of ARs in circulation or in stores.. it's mearly a political ploy by Colt..

I would really like to know what percentage of ARs sold are Colt, I would be willing to bet other companies that build and sell ARs outsell Colt 10 to 1..

10. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Sounds like Colt caved in to the anti-gun crowd.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  11. bdl605

bdl605 6 pointer

Nov 18, 2006
    Lawrenceburg
    I agree with that statement semp. I love the old colts I have too, but I don’t think today’s colt price vs their quality is the same as it used to be and I too think they are caving a bit regardless of what they say! If they have s big stockpile of unsold AR’s then slow or halt production temporarily without saying no longer making them for civilians!!!

12. mmayes

mmayes 12 pointer

Aug 2, 2005
    Near Aintry
    There are tons of better produced AR's on the market that cost way less than a Colt. Today all you are buying is Colt's name and that's about it.

Mayes

Teach Deer likes this.