Colorful Coyote; 2 day story.

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by JR in KY, Dec 1, 2013.

1. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I had a trailcam set out near a baitpile on my back 40; I used to kill a lot of Coyotes over Bait, but have not killed one here in years. Matter of fact it has been 2 winters since I have even taken a photo of one in the DAYtime. Dozens of photos at Night; just never show up in the daylight. I had a snipers nest set up in an old barn 190 yards away; unused for a long time. The Coyotes used to come by mostly just to see who Else was around. Kinda a Coyote McDonalds. I picked up a roadkill deer a while back and thought I would use it to check things out.

2013_0213JRinK0072_zps95c6d6de.jpg

2013_0213JRinK0069_zps1174672f.jpg A few days ago I got a photo of a very unusual looking Coyote early in the morning.

2013_1127JRinK0554_zpsb763c237.jpg
    Looks like he brought a friend also. My house is about 400 yards to the West and it seems this one is checking things out.

2013_1127JRinK0534_zps9af3bab7.jpg
    The Husky looking Coyote at night during a snow or rain storm.

2013_1127JRinK0572_zpsc9793330.jpg
    It is extremely tough to call Coyotes around my area now...3 neighbor boys have Foxpros and they have educated every Coyote for 4 square miles. I try to help them by giving them advice, but it seems it is too difficult to Coyote hunt the correct way. They start out to hunt about the time they should be finishing up....drive the 4 wheelers right up to the edge of the field, then walk right across the middle of the field they are going to call. They consider it a success if they get Coyotes yipping and answering them.... Needless to say, they don't get any bodies on the ground.

I have been a little "Punny" for a while and have not been hunting any. This new Coyote got me a bit interested and I went out before daylight and set up in the old barn. Everything was still there and I settled in for daylight. Nothing near the baitpile at daylight, but I just sat and let things develop if they would. About 8 AM a couple of this years Fawns shot across the field from my right....followed by 3 does. OK. Something is going on here....off come the gloves and the hood Rifle at the ready now. I look down the field where they approached from and see a Black Doglike aminal "Hammer Down" streaking right up the middle of the field 300 yards away. Just like SHE is going to the Black Friday sale at WalMart.
    I recognize this one instantly.
    There is a big dip dropoff in the field so the Coyote went out of sight headed straight for me. I wait and the Coyote does not pop up over the rise. ???? Either he has turned around or stopped....can't see. Just then I see Ears moving over the grassy hilltop. Coyote is moving slow at a gentle walk and has given up the chase; also just realized he is out in the open field.
    I WOOLLFF him to a stop and greet him with a 50g VMax. Couple of spins and it's down. I wait for 30 minutes for the other dog to show up, but it doesn't appear.

You want to see him Close UP???? check out the next reply on the page.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  2. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Part 2.
    Here are a few photos; kinda unusual looking dog so I am posting a few extra so you can see HER good; she's a female.

2013_0213JRinK0073_zps9b1fcce6.jpg

2013_0213JRinK0079_zpsce665a6e.jpg

2013_0213JRinK0084_zpsc9d25657.jpg

I ain't "Punny" any longer...Coyotes do that to you I guess.
    This critter has all the ordinary characteristics of a Coyote except the coloration. Husky dog looking color pattern. You kill enough of them and I guess you will run across anything.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  3. kentuckyoutdoorsman

kentuckyoutdoorsman 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2011
    shepherdsville
    Killed my first coyote yesterday morning at 28 yards while bow hunting. Never thought I would shake over a coyote lol

4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    That is a odd colored hotel. Hope you get the Red colored one.

5. coyote1758

coyote1758 6 pointer

Oct 10, 2010
    nicholasville ky.
    Good looking yote. Nice color

6. MAKEemQUIVER

MAKEemQUIVER 10 pointer

Mar 19, 2009
    Very cool looking yote!! Loved reading about your hunt and as always good shooting.

7. BT Game Calls

BT Game Calls Spike

Aug 16, 2012
    Nancy Ky
  8. Those are great pictures JR. I know you will get the red one soon.

9. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    Mighty fine job, JR. We will buy you a nice dessert whenever we get you out to lunch.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  10. 30-30

30-30 8 pointer

Aug 26, 2011
    good jod jr, i havnt been out in a while due to work, i hope you get to feel better,
    And i hear ya on areas over called, I think im dealing with some of that as I finding out some of my areas are being called in the middle of the day

11. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Very cool will make a nice hat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    JR, I see you're still using those ole Salvages.....lol. I know exactly what you're saying about the coyotes there getting educated. My area has a huge population of Mennonites, and the Mennonite boys all hunt. Several of them have FoxPro calls and a group of them will get together and hunt coyotes using a combination of calling and driving. Talk about educated coyotes, I am finding it darn near impossible to call anything up if I'm hunting anywhere close to where they do. They also trap for coyotes and set snares everywhere, including places where they don't have permission. The end result has been a huge drop in the coyote numbers around here.