Colorado Public Land?

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by hollandhunter, Nov 9, 2017.

1. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    A couple of guys from work and myself are thinking about going elk hunting in Colorado next year. Hunt would be on public land and haven't decided where we are going to go yet. We have had a couple ideas but was wondering if anyone on here can help point us in the right direction. Does anyone here have experience with public land outfitters out there and which one do you suggest. We are still in the planning stages.

2. DARKCLOUD

DARKCLOUD 6 pointer

Oct 5, 2003
    LIBERTY, KY, USA.
    We used mangus5 outfitters
    A few years ago. It was a horseback pack in trip.
    Very enjoyable hunt.
    2 out of 4 got a bull elk.
    I didn’t get one,but had a good trip.
    It is not guided. They provided horses for going in
    And out,tent,firewood and cots.
    I done a lot of research before we booked.
    Very good outfitter done everything promised.
    I would use again if i ever get to go again.
    Hope this helps

3. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    BLM land is good to look at. White river national forest has lots of elk. Look into blm that joins it. White river is a huge area. Around Meeker and over to Glenwood Springs area. Like I said a huge huge area.

4. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    I scouted the Redstone public land (I think national forest, not sure) and there are several elk there. The hunting is similar to deer hunting here -in forest cover. I never hunted there but talked to some guys who had hunted there for years successfully.
    Hunted the Roan plateau near Parachute, Colorado one year. We saw 14 elk the day before the season opened--in our camp. That night it snowed 11 inches. We never saw another elk that season.
    The public land around the Rifle and Meeker area has lots of elk.
    Can't recommend a guide , we went on our own. We were both successful 4 out of 5 trips.

5. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    When my Hunting Friends and I, hunted in Colorado, we hunted the western side of the State. Delta & Montrose Counties offered some good hunting for both Elk & Mule Deer. We hunted on a private ranch but there is plenty of public lands to hunt on; and we stayed in the town of Crawford, Co. This was back in the early 1990's.

6. Catridge

Catridge 6 pointer

Jan 11, 2015
    Meeker area unit 24 has a lot of elk but you have got to get deep , you can get horses delivered to you in that area by Sombrero Ranches. We have taken some nice bulls in that unit but like I said be prepared to go deep !!! Good luck !!

7. hookalakupua

hookalakupua Fawn

Sep 11, 2017
    Lexington, KY
    I grew up hunting throughout the State so if you'll give me some more details, I'll give you my 2 cents. Trophy Bulls or Cows, Archery or Rifle, days available, self sufficient or guided, horseback/lama or ATV vs walk in. Start looking into Units 65 and 32. I've got a group of buddies that had a ridiculous amount of success this season in both of those areas. They've been hot spots for us in years past.

8. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Did DIY In White River National Forest in 2012. Rented 4 horses for a week, and rented 10 horses from a local outfitter I knew for day we arrived and day we were to pack out. I made 2 runs from the trailhead in and out the first day with all the gear and a couple guys and then we had 5 days to set camp, relax and scout. That year there was a lot of food down low and it took til the end of our season for the hunting pressure to push the elk up to us. We shot 1 6x6 and a couple cows. One more day and I think we would have tagged everyone out but it what it is. Other years we did this the elk were already in our area when we got there. Buddy shot a 195" mulie one year too. PM me if you want the outfitters name/number we rented horses from, he runs fully guided and drop camps and they do very well.

9. itstherush

itstherush 6 pointer

Sep 19, 2010
    Grayson co
    On the same stage as the original poster, in planning stages now for my and a friend. How much money and time am I looking at here? I think it is worth getting some form of assistance for guide. im a good hunter, but this is a whole new animal and territory and weather.