Cold,Wet,&Hungry

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by yotekiller, Nov 17, 2002.

1. yotekiller

yotekiller Banned

Jan 20, 2002
    Poor old coyotes,it's about time for my annual force feeding,nothing like a good warm 45gr. 22-250 to soothe the appetite.

2. gates

gates 6 pointer

Jan 8, 2002
    Morgantown, KY, USA.
    Yotekiller,

Where are you located? I saw a coyote during deer season on my place(230 acres) and I have a place about 15 miles away that the landowner saw 3(100 acres). I have a 22-250 and it is begging to shoot. I have never tried to call coyotes. I have killed a few deer hunting. I live in Butler County. Do you use a box or call by mouth?

James

3. yotekiller

yotekiller Banned

Jan 20, 2002
    Hey gates,i live in barren co.. 90% of the time i use a mouth blown call but bought one of those digital calls last year and used it a grand total of 2hrs.,heck of a hawk call but haven't had any other luck with it.

My favorite call is a Knight&Hale puppy whiner/mouse squeaker.That is usually for the thick stuff,and a haydels baby cottontail for longer range calling.The puppy whiner is a pump type call and sounds good that way but i inhale on the reed to get better and louder sounds,if you have ever heard a pup whine you can be effective with this call.

I usually only stay in a spot no longer than 45mins.,use the puppy whiner for first 10 or 15 mins.,hit the rabbitt call about 3mins. and finish off the stand with the puppy whiner.I keep the length realistic,with 5min. pauses every 2-5 mins.

Good luck and if you need any help thinning them yotes out give me a holler!

4. Salty

Salty 8 pointer

Mar 21, 2002
    Winchester, KY
    A friend told me that coyotes are really having a hard time with the disease 'parvo'. He said it is really taking a toll on them in Owen County. Have you yote hunters heard anything like that???

5. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    I really want to try that coyote thing. Ever have any luck with one of those fawn distress calls? Also would I be better in a tree(for long distances sightings) on the ground, or in a blind on the ground?

6. gates

gates 6 pointer

Jan 8, 2002
    Morgantown, KY, USA.
    Yote,

When is the best time of year to call them in? I will try to find one of those calls. I may give it a try a little later this year. I have got to get some work done around the house. Deer season seems to take over the yard/farm work.

James

7. yotekiller

yotekiller Banned

Jan 20, 2002
    The best time is now through warm weather,jan.-feb. is their rut and you can locate them with a howler and even call them up with it.I'd stick with the prey sounds at first though,however during that time you can get multiple targets so if you nail one,give a quick canine distress,alot of times it will bring in their partner.