Cold Weather Base Layers

str8 shot

12 pointer
Nov 4, 2006
berea kantuckie
I thinking of buying some of the underarmour cold gear tomarow.Any of you guys using these tops and bottoms?Ive got thermals,Scentblocker underguard xlts top/bottom and the Dream Season suit and it keeps me really cumfy for weekends like last weekends,but when the temps drops into the 30s and 20s like its guna be like this weekend i get a litlle chilly.So any suggestions on a good base layer to keep my big butt warm

shoulderblock

6 pointer
Jun 14, 2007
The underarmor cold gear is good stuff. I've been using it for about 5 years now (same tops and bottoms) and it still performansce as good as the day I bought it. I think the quality is great, much better than Nike DriFit in my opinion. The stuff really shines for its ability to wick away the sweat from walking to your stand.

D.R.T.

Spike
Oct 15, 2009
I would look into the under armor 2.0 because the regular cold gear i don't know when I wear it it pulls my hair and I just don't like the feeling of it but the 2.o is awesome

lab

I'm not a people person.
Jul 18, 2003
just past the middle of nowhere
Under Armour is the only way to go. I invested in a suit of cold gear last year and wondered why it took me so long to do it. Last year duck hunting from a layout blind I wore my UA, fleece jacket, and I pair of insulated bibs. Not once did I get cold. The UA cold gear is truly amazing stuff.

duckslayer870

12 pointer
I guess its great like UA gear, but I like my old red carhart union suit. Bit of a PIA if ya gotta go poop but its very warm and not stylish. Matter of fact just about every good hunting trip ive had in recent years comes from the luck of the red suit.

Iceman35

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2008
Boone County
Just bought some, and haven't had a chance to try it out. Buddy of mine has a cabin in upstate NY and swears by it. They hunt all day from the ground up there as well as snowmobile in the dead of winter and he says he never gets cold, even when going 40 mph on a snowmobile. I got the UA Cold Gear Base 3.0 because it is snug, but not form fitting. The moisture wicking should be awesome, becaue I often hike a mile or more to my stand site, and hate trying to put everything back on, hanging 20 ft up.:D

Iceman35

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2008
Boone County
What do the different numbers 2.0, 3.0, etc. mean when it comes to purchasing Under Armor?

How heavy the garment is. 3.0 is for the coldest weather, like sitting in a stand when its 20 all day, whereas 2.0 would be for say, rabbitt hunting where your going to be moving around a bit

itallushrt

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Getting a blumpkin
take it from a duck hunter...

under armor heat gear undershirt, polartec over that, wool over that, something with a gore-tex shell over that.

I think the heat gear UA does a better job of wicking sweat away from the body, the polartec and wool provide the warmth and the gore-tex keeps you dry.

Last edited:

Xi Bowhunter

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2002
Goetz Farm
Under Armour is the only way to go. I invested in a suit of cold gear last year and wondered why it took me so long to do it. Last year duck hunting from a layout blind I wore my UA, fleece jacket, and I pair of insulated bibs. Not once did I get cold. The UA cold gear is truly amazing stuff.

I wanted to thank you for turing me onto the UA Cold Gear. I just got the top and bottoms this weekend and they did a great job. I am a believer now. That cold gear is great stuff.

Latest posts