Cold tempuratures set the rut on fire

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by KyFatalAttractionOutdoors, Nov 13, 2013.

1. So iv been reading a lot of post about the rut here through out Kentucky. This morning was the first time yet this season i have seen any signs of rutting activity! I hunt in north/central Kenton county and bucks were on does all morning. I watched multiple bucks chasing numerous does, which were all yearling does?? That part didnt make a whole lot of sense to me but none the less it was very entertaining! All small bucks except for one 3/4 year old, by no means a large rack, but definitely unique. He chased a doe by right at day break and then later came out to run off a couple smaller bucks. I never got an opportunity at a clear shot but late in the morning my uncle capitalized on an opportunity. Hes not a "wall hanger" but he'll make a cool euro mount and a good conversation piece...

Attached Files:

2. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Neat buck.

I saw the same yearling chasing going on the weekend before last when there were several mature does with them not getting chased. Very odd.

3. DBLUNG

DBLUNG 6 pointer

Oct 29, 2012
    Benton Ky
    I shot a yearling doe behind the house last week that was being chased, then two bucks stood over her after she crashed. I had to practically run them off.

4. bduncan14

bduncan14 6 pointer

Oddly enough, I saw the same thing this weekend - both Saturday and Sunday. Multiple 1 1/2 year olds one 2 1/2 year old just blatantly harassing younger doe.

5. chris1975

chris1975 6 pointer

Sep 14, 2011
    Lydon
    Do you think this weekend will be good with the temps rising

6. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    No, but it might be wise to hunt in the evenings.

7. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    In my area Rut as just started. I watched a Buck chasing a Doe last evening (Wednesday) and have found a few active scrapes. Evenings seem the be the best time to see them. It too bad our season (Zone #3) rifle season is going to end Monday. Wish we had those extra 6-days.:(

8. hunting buddy

hunting buddy 12 pointer

Oct 23, 2010
    bg
    Last Sunday I watched a 1.5yr old buck chase 2 yearling twins with older does within 30yds of them and finally after he turned his attention to a older doe but still didn't bother the other 2 there.

9. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Not only am I not seeing any chasing, I can't find any does. I hunt 2 farms and all I am seeing, which the exception of one hunt, is scrub bucks. I have seen 2 possible shooter bucks and 1 decent 8. I saw 7-8 bucks on one farm and have seen 4-5 on this new one. For meat, I may bite the bullet and put down a small buck.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  10. Awesome black and white picture. I love those unique deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. just me

just me 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2013
    Love the pic. Well done. Thanks for sharing!

12. Well last night we watched a nice 4 year old 8 point follow a doe over the hill in front of our house around 1130 so I went this morning and didn't see much. 2 small bucks and a couple does, all alone. I'm guessing the big ones are on lock down today