COLD how do you all do it?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by 1shot 1kill, Nov 21, 2008.

1. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    All I use is a pair of Muck Woody Max a pair of Rocky Bear Claw socks....

Fleece pants with a pair of insulated bibs, and parka with a hooded sweatshirt and a long sleeve tshirt with a duotherm undershirt.....

Some good gloves and a warm hat with 6 large hot hands......two for my kidneys, 2 for my hands and 2 that I place on my jugglar veins at the base of my neck and shoulders......This morning was warm compared to a good early january bow hunt with snow and ice all over the ground......where the high is only 10 degrees......

2. spotty 11

spotty 11 Fawn

Nov 15, 2008
    fleming co
    i was just wantin to know if any one of you cold feet guys smoke? my father inlaw says his feet has not cold since he quite. i am a smoker i wear 1000 gram rockey goretex and wool socks feet still get cold but not unbearable my dad smoked his feet were always cold, i just waunder if this is another reason to kick the nasty habit???????

3. Someone told me that smoking causes your arteries to tighten up. Not sure if this is true but if it is, that would explain the lack of blood flow to the feet causing them to get cold. Oh, by the way, there are already plenty of reasons to quit health wise before this subject came up.:):rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. DoctorDeath

DoctorDeath 6 pointer

Aug 17, 2006
    Paducah
    It was so cold this morning that I saw a jack rabbit with a set of jumper cables trying to boost off a beagle :D

dd

5. StriperDoc

StriperDoc 6 pointer

Sep 17, 2002
    Danville, Ky, USA.
    My 2 cents worth

I think there are two important factors keeping your feet warm: they must remain dry and must have good circulation. These are already discussed above, but I will add a few more thoughts.

DRYNESS: I agree, were two layers of socks; one inner wicking layer and an outer heavier layer for warmth. Don't wear two heavy layers b/c will not wick and feet sweat. Also will the layers will be too thick and make boots fit too tight (cuts off circulation).

Got to stay dry; goretex or other waterproofing on boots necessary.

Also, a good trick from an old timer to keep feet dry. He sprays his feet with a nonscented aerosolized anti-perspirant spray. I've done it a time or two and it helps. Hard to find these days, so stock up when you do.

CIRCULATION: Make sure the boots are not too tight. see above. Loosen the laces some. Loosen the belt. thin inner layer/thick outer layer socks.

As mentioned in other posts, smoking does make the circulation sluggish which sometimes makes it hard to keep extremities warm in the cold. Another good reason to quit smoking.

Also, some people have a condition called Raynaud's phenomenon in which they get digital artery (finger and toe arteries) vasospasm; this decreases blood flow and fingers and toes get numb and extremely painful. Two things exacerbate the problem: the cold and smoking. Put the two together and you've got a guy who smokes sitting on a deer stand on November 22 in 15 degree temps with really numb and painful toes and fingers.

Hope this helps somebody.

6. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    try taking two advil before you go. it works!

7. jaredemma

jaredemma 6 pointer

Dec 13, 2007
    I dont know how cold it got yesterday but i got to my stand about 1130 and stayed until dark, my feet did get pretty cold though. I had on a pair of wicking socks and a pair of wool socks 2 i think. That was probably my problem, as mentioned before poor circulation. It may sound crazy but i would stand up and pick one foot off the tree stand and point my toes down and it seems as if they would warm up, probably the crculation going threw them. I also wore a pair of Arctic Shield Booties, I had Under Armour Metal on with Rocky Scent IQ pants and Jacket, a very thin Scent Lock Suit and Insulated bibs and Jacket 100 gram each. Sounds like a lot but not very much really when you actually put it on and I stayed fairly warm until the wind would blow hard and I would chill a little. Nothing you couldnt handle though until I left without seeing a deer then I felt it was pointless, I did see a 3 point from my four wheeler on the way in.

8. Gnarly

Gnarly 6 pointer

Nov 12, 2008
    Crossroads to Nowhere,KY
    Cold

StriperDoc beat me to posting the Raynaud's Phenomenon possibility!

I quit smoking ~5 yrs. ago and have noticed a decrease in cold fingers & toes.

Since even our elevated stands have ground blinds, I use the $40 Baffin rubber boots w/ the wool/synthetic liners from Sportsmans Guide....but, for the past 6 years,I don't hunt unless I take my Mr.Heater!($70 @ Rural King).

18 degrees F here yesterday a.m. w/ a light North breeze.

(But still no deer/no sign/no tracks/no buzzards/no 'yotes/no bonepiles.)

----Gnarly

9. rshearer

rshearer 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky
  10. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    cabelas goose down underwear, wool socks, and gore tek booties.
    I think the down was only $59 at cabelas.

11. Gnarly

Gnarly 6 pointer

Nov 12, 2008
    Crossroads to Nowhere,KY
    Cold....

rshearer,

Really like the looks of Raven Wear,but very spendy.About $850-$900 for coat & bibs.I realize it lasts for years,but...:( Winning Lottery Ticket! :D

Isn't it too warm to wear for hunting in KY? I've seen it on guides in Northern Canada in articles about hunting in -20 to -35 F temps.

Would like your input.

----Gnarly

12. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    I can honestly say that anytime the temps get to 45 or below I get cold in the stand. Why? I wish I new that answer because I've always been that way.:mad::mad::mad: My old age(54 today) and heart condition probably is the main cause.
    My problem is my feet only and after they get cold its downhill from there.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  13. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    What skin dog said.................
    The trick is to avoid sweating. Carry as much as you can to your stand. Never wear your insulated bibs/coveralls while walking to your stand. You'll be frozen by 0900. WALK SLOW!
    And he hit the nail on the head with the socks. 2 pair is OK as long as the 1st pair are moisture wicking. I wear a pair with my LaCrosse Burly 1200 rubber boots down to about 30, but below that I add the 2nd pair which are wool. My feet never get cold. Yesterday at Knox I sat on stand 8 hours and had no issues. I believe it was around 18 degrees at 1st light.

14. 25-06

25-06 8 pointer

Apr 1, 2006
    My feet always got cold on me,but I have been saved by the hand and feet warmers.These make it pretty comfy all day!

15. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Skin dog and bowhunter269 are right. Moisture wicking liner socks are the ticket.

Those high priced socks we see in the catlogs DO WORK. They are made for a reason and do what they say they will do. Think about this, we spend $79 to $200 for a pair of "good" boots but then go to Wally World and spend $1.29 on a pair of socks, that's like buying a $1,000 rifle and a $39 scope. We all know your gun is only as good as your scope so we should be saying the same thing about our boots and socks. Your $200 boots will be only as good as your $1.29 socks.

Those high tech socks and boots are made to work together.

I have cold hands and feet and I suffered all my life hunting until I started buying the new high tech stuff and today I can and DO stay comfortable all day in 20 temps.

For boots I have 3 different gram weights and I have different liner socks and other socks for the different temps. I have the MT-050 Whitetail Extreme for the really cold days and I put in the hand warmers in my gloves. With that I can stay warm and dry all day.