Coal trucks on the move

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Dark Cloud, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Seen more coal trucks on the road yesterday than I've seen all summer put together .From Louisa to Paintsville over twenty five trucks going and coming.I sure hope this is a sign coal is going to get better.Happy thanksgiving every one

Capttrae likes this.
  2. High Rack

High Rack 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2009
    in the hills
    I noticed the same thing when I traveled there last week. Over the last 2 years, especially the last year, one could drive 23 and never see a coal truck. I have some friends up that way that have a bunch of money in the ground just waiting for Jan 21 to get here.

3. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    At one point not that long ago coal prices were sky high because China was buying up all we could dig. Still don't understand why production just stopped. The mill creek power plant just got it's new gas units online this year and I'm sure a lot of the other coal fired plants were on a similar timeline.
    I know NG is cheaper right now but, hopefully when NG goes up again (and it will) at least maybe the EPA won't be such a formidable enemy.
    Looks like mill Creek still has at least 3 of it's coal fired units ready to run. Don't know if the new ones were built dual fuel or not.

4. Regulator623

Regulator623 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2006
    Eastern Kentucky
    It's beginning to tick up a bit lately...mostly due to the draw down of the huge stockpiles that the big companies like Alpha and Arch had on the ground when they filed for bankruptcy protection. They were selling coal at a loss just to generate a cash flow. A few contracts with some money in them are beginning to shake loose.

5. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    For everybody I know that works in the mines I hope it picks back up. If thus out here don't pick back up and coal minning does, I may give it a shot