Closing Weekend Deer Hunt

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by buckfever, Jan 21, 2013.

1. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    I got into a Idiscussion about 2 weeks ago with a fellow at Kentucky Harvest about hunter donated venison and Ky Hunters for the Hungry. He said that many of the local homeless shelters were really desperate for protein meals. His comments persuaded me to try to organize a last weekend deer hunt to donate some meat to the Kyharvest to go to local charities. I then spoke with Ralph Swallows at SE Christian Church, and SE Christian agreed to fund the processing fees for up to 40 deer.

My next call was to Aaron Webb with "Hunting with a Hero", a military NFP, like Wounded Warriors, that tries to arrange hunting opportunities for soldiers that have served overseas and have to cope with fall-out like PTSD. What I didn't realize was that Aaron was currently deployed in Afghan. Despite the communication difficulties, he arranged to have 2 soldiers from Fort Knox, Captain Tim Smoke and Special Warrant Officer Rick Blevins hunt with me. I lined up a couple of former service members and some Wing Ding forum members who offered to help in the doe harvest.

I think that all the hunters saw deer, although not all connected. We ended up with a total of 10 deer on the ground from Friday evening through Sunday morning. Only 7 of those deer were salvageable because coyotes got to 3 before we did. The total could have been a little higher still, but we had a couple of errant shots (including by yours truly) led to a couple of lost deer. Heck, one guy shot a deer at 8:30 am. He saw it fall about 100 yards away. He climbed down at 10 am, and a yote was already in there feasting.

Here's pic of the loaded truck bed on the way to the processor:
    [​IMG]

I shot this buck on Friday evening. I probably would have let him walk, but it was Friday evening, and I really wanted to put some deer on the ground for the homeless shelter folks. I was concerned that opportunities might be limited given the predicted high winds on Saturday. Unfortunately, the yotes had really done a number on him by the time we found him, and the processors can't use them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the end of the day, a handful of hunters coming together for a weekend of hard hunting put enough meat on the table to provide approximately 1000 meals to folks that really need it.

2. nwest

nwest 12 pointer

Great time and an even better cause!

3. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Congratulations for your efforts. Looks like to need to kill some yotes.

4. Kentuck

Kentuck 8 pointer

Nov 7, 2005
    Northern California
    Good deal and congrats. Sounds like you should get ahold of one of the guys on the trapping section and have them do some work on that farm.

5. forddeerslayer

forddeerslayer 12 pointer

Jun 26, 2009
    greenup/lewis co
    Great read and good job for putting it all together.

6. rather-b-huntn

rather-b-huntn 10 pointer

Very cool BF. I too have a soft spot for the vets. Looks like a great way to end the season. Nice buck too. Not much of a harvest pic though.:)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket using Tapatalk2

7. Chimpy

Chimpy 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2004
    Wilder, ky, USA.
    It's a great program - we donate close to 50 deer a year to it, and they are always wanting more. I love it!!

8. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Great cause and great weekend with a couple of great defenders of our freedoms, BF. My hat is off to you for the work involved in setting it all up.

9. hunting buddy

hunting buddy 12 pointer

Oct 23, 2010
    bg
    Thanks for your time and effort in put all that together. Congrats to everybody that took a deer. Might need to keep those guys there for a few days and try to take some yotes!

10. ng270

ng270 6 pointer

Jan 12, 2005
    Central PA
    Very nice, Ballard. Well done, as usual!

Good to see little blue still haulin' deer. ;)

11. tyshe17

tyshe17 12 pointer

May 4, 2007
    Good for y'all! I gave meat to everyone who asked me for some this year, but next the HFH will be on the list. Only thing is, I thought they covered the processing...

Sorry about the loss on the buck. He was a good looking deer and meat. Believe me, I know how schedules can inhibit hunting, but yesterday evening was fine deer hunting weather IMO. Glad y'all enjoyed the weekend!

What is your plan for the coyotes?

12. big bubba t

big bubba t 10 pointer

Sep 4, 2004
    Waltersburg , KY
    Great job Ballard. I was honored to be a part of this weekend and get to spend some time with the Heroes and some good friends.

13. Greenwilly

Greenwilly 6 pointer

Feb 17, 2006
    Shelby Co.
    Nice work! Now get after those yotes!! I've got a basic FoxPro if you want to give it a try.

14. Blevins Gap Outdoors

Blevins Gap Outdoors 12 pointer

Nov 9, 2002
    Louisville, KY
    That was a great thing you did, it helped out two groups at once. As always, thanks for helping others. Oh, a good trapper will be your friend!

15. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    The guys seemed like they had a great time over the weekend, and I know they didn't leave hungry. I enjoyed meeting them. Thanks for sitting the whole thing up.