Close call

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Nock, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Great Horned Owl would’ve been a better choice.

Feedman, barney and drakeshooter like this.
  2. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Mr Franklin was a big proponent of the wild turkey.

Feedman, drakeshooter and bondhu like this.
  3. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Not a bad choice either. Least they taste good

Feedman, barney, drakeshooter and 2 others like this.
  4. If it would have protected them like eagles I’m glad he didn’t get his way.

5. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Good point

drakeshooter likes this.
  6. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Farmer Ed, I just can't get into turkeys....

Matter of fact, I doubt that I could even make it far enough into the WMAs or Bottoms around here to manage much of any decent shots of the cool eagles right about now, for all of the flooding, but I shall not develop more of an interest until a few weeks from now, anyhow. It's those baby eaglets I want, this time around.

This looks like it might be a decent video, even though I watched only the first minute thus far. Sheer power hidden within those feathers!

7. woodsman92

woodsman92 8 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    I see them fairly often on green river. 3 weeks ago seen a adult and a juvenile, then 2 weeks ago seen a pair both adult. The ones I’ve come across aren’t very skiddish like a hawk.

They are a pretty bird, but Like others stated, it’s just a pretty vulture that people perceive to be some awesome bird. It’s a mean predator on small game and poults that I can’t shoot...not a fan

drakeshooter, JR in KY and Munson like this.
  8. supergoat80

supergoat80 10 pointer

Aug 31, 2012
    That’s crazy I was about to post about one I narrowly missed on Monday. He was on Dixie hwy though. Saw him again yesterday.

Nock likes this.
  9. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Lord and Lady Evil Red Tailed Hawk at my place are not too very skittish at all. They sneak in here, I usually hear the warning, chase them, and then they often return as if to say, "We are coming anyway!", and after my songbirds they do! :mad:

Regardless, I still like them very much and for that reason do not wish to kill them. I thoroughly enjoy watching them and especially their mating dance. That's pretty sporty!:cool:

Nonetheless, they do not hold my keen interest as much as the bald eagles. Your comment about having seen a juvenile with a parent right now rather baffles me. Perhaps you may have actually seen a juvenile golden eagle, instead. I always enjoy Mr. Landers articles, and he references such. He published two about the bald and one about the goldens visiting Kentucky

Bald Eagles

https://www.nkytribune.com/2016/11/...s-a-rare-sight-for-state-outdoor-enthusiasts/

https://www.nkytribune.com/2017/03/...-survived-and-flourished-back-from-the-brink/

Golden Eagles

https://www.nkytribune.com/2016/11/...s-a-rare-sight-for-state-outdoor-enthusiasts/

Meanwhile, this article contains good information about hatchlings within various states. I find it interesting that they tend to fledge at different amount of days, dependent upon where hatched. I also find it rather amusing that I never paid a lick of attention to any eagles within Florida over all the years, only pelicans and seagulls really, other than my lovely bluebirds.

Upon that thought, I learned only today that my father developed his keen interest in bluebirds, via his former fishing partner now deceased. I drove past the widow's house only three doors down, noticing her beside the street with her 14 year old dog. We chatted for an extensive time catching up with one another, ending up discussing my bluebirds.

That is when she mentioned her own, elaborating that some cat had the fledglings for a meal last year, and that her late husband was the one having obtained the bluebird house plans, building them for himself as well as my father. She said that they always did everything together. It was really nice to learn that fact today. I shall be helping with her bluebirds this year, being that via her description, I could easily discern they had merely fledged early and should have been quickly placed back within their little house.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  10. My buddy from Alaska said they’re a damn nuisance animal up there they can’t shoot.

barney, woodsman92 and Brody like this.
  11. Timholt70

Timholt70 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2019
    Christian county
    Had 2 bald eagles hanging out on our lake at the hunting lease pretty much all winter.cool see them so often.

12. east_ky_hunter

east_ky_hunter 8 pointer

Aug 29, 2010
    East Ky
    Reckon how long a feller'd go to the pen for shootin one?

13. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Well, You could probably kill a few people, sell a lot of drugs, rob a couple of banks and rape a few nuns and you would still get more time for killing the eagle.

barney, JR in KY and Nock like this.
  14. woodsman92

woodsman92 8 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    Sad but true, that’s the world we live in. More people get their feelings hurt over a eagle than a human, so you get more years.

15. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Well now, if I became a nun, a drug dealer, or a security guard, I possess extremely high confidence that I would be much more capable of defending myself against another human than any bird possibly could, including a bald eagle. Stated and although not a birder, I am aware that select birds can do a rather fine job of attacking humans, when feeling or actually threatened, and that many will not hesitate in doing so. I was extremely careful not to disturb the eagles when they were with their eggs during that previous 30 day shoot up here, for that reason first and foremost, and their babies welfare secondly. Any/all legalities failed to matter, due to my sound reasoning.

Those wings fully extended could simply dwarf me in some cases, blinding all else from sight other than those sharp talons and beaks. I know, because the one pair I ended up focusing upon the most permitted me much closer without any behavioral disruptions than current laws permit. Their eyes were of particular interest, but I am that way with all animals, especially humans.

Without additional details, I am not currently under the impression that you witnessed a juvenile with its parent, but I imagine such is always possible in specific instances. It's unfortunate that you failed to photograph them for extended sessions, in order to learn more.

" If a juvenile attempted to return to its birth nest, the adult pair would drive them away as they would any intruding eagle."

https://www.nationaleaglecenter.org/eagle-nesting-young/

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021