Climber back pad?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by robert stowe, Sep 27, 2019.

1. robert stowe

robert stowe Fawn

Jul 17, 2019
    Elizabethtown
    Got a summit climber. I did away with the carrying straps that came with it and put on some old army rucksack padded straps and a kidney pad but now I have realized that the underside of the platform digs into my back...I can carry maybe two miles before my back is killing me. Has anyone ran across a padding system to attach to the platform for carrying?

2. bstickin1

bstickin1 6 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    Could you put some foam pipe insulation on it to keep it off your back? If you're packing a stand over 2 miles before you can find a place worth hunting I wish I had a place you could walk 30 feet and kill a giant because you damn sure deserve it.

3. robert stowe

robert stowe Fawn

Jul 17, 2019
    Elizabethtown
    I guess I have too much Army in me. Strap a load on my back and I feel like I have to walk for miles to do anything...Insulation might work. I'll see if I can give it a try and see what works. Thanks for th eidea.

bondhu likes this.
  4. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    I always pull the top part of my seat through for padding. But hell O pete man, if your packing in 2 miles before it's bothering you. You should be in the running for this year's Tonyinky award.

robert stowe likes this.
  5. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Where r u hunting where u can walk 2 miles? Knox?

6. robert stowe

robert stowe Fawn

Jul 17, 2019
    Elizabethtown
    I am hunting knox. It wasn't quite two miles Wednesday night. I got about .75 miles in, found some good spots, hung for a bit and then back out. So, was only 1.5 miles wednesday night.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  7. robert stowe

robert stowe Fawn

Jul 17, 2019
    Elizabethtown
    Guess what I am hearing so far is that I need to find better parking spots and stop walking so far...This is my first year really hunting since I have been a kid. I always thought that you needed to walk DEEP in the woods to get to "that" spot..Makes me feel better that I shouldn't be trying to ruck this thing all over creation.

bondhu likes this.
  8. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Not to hijack your thread, but a somewhat funny related story …. I walked "a mile" into an area on Knox turkey hunting that I had not been in for years. Knew it like the back of my hand. As I settled in I saw a flashlight up ahead. I thought "NO WAY" …… not a vehicle near where I parked, and no other way in. After my hunt I decided to drive around the area...….and now there are new gravel roads EVERYWHERE !! The spot I hiked a mile to was within about 50 yards of a new gravel road. Knox sure has changed !!!

9. robert stowe

robert stowe Fawn

Jul 17, 2019
    Elizabethtown
    I guess a good recon is always worth the effort.

10. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Back in the day, I used this pack frame to carry my stands and stuff on public land. It worked great.
    D83D5509-5DEE-45B3-BE0F-2AA10A5F4140.jpeg

robert stowe likes this.
  11. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    You still do to some extent. Just keep in mind, especially in KY, there’s always someone that also is going deep. There’s also quite a bit of access, even the wilderness areas.

I used to hunt a 1000 acre piece of public. Never could get completely away from everyone.

robert stowe likes this.
  12. bstickin1

bstickin1 6 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    Aint nothin wrong with going deep, they might squall but it won't kill em. Sometimes it helps depending on how much traffic has been there. Seriously though, try to see how many other hunters are using the area you're hunting. I've seen deer sign be extremely heavy right beside an interstate. I also seen 3 guys cross a fence once and before they made it 15 yards 3 deer jumped the fence in the same spot. Those guys didn't even look back. The deer went the opposite way and they didn't act like they seen the guys either. You never know what any critter might do. Look for good sign where other hunters aren't parking and even if it is close don't be afraid to give it a try. I highly commend you for your effort.

robert stowe likes this.