christian county bass

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by hut, Mar 21, 2016.

1. hut

hut 6 pointer

Sep 18, 2005
    logan county
    I have been hearing of a largemouth caught today that weighed 12lbs and something in Christian county. Was wondering if any body else has heard the story on it or seen pics.

2. kyhunter110

kyhunter110 8 pointer

Apr 6, 2006
    Lexington
    I think I saw the picture on Facebook. I think it weighed 12.4

3. revwilder

revwilder Spike

Aug 6, 2011
    Mt Vernon
    Caught it on a watershed lake here in Christian county

Shooting for Christ

4. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Hopkinsville man lands monster bass
    Gary Garth 11:19 a.m. EDT March 20, 2016

Earlier this month Tommy Myers and Marshall Moshler were fishing Lake Morris, a 50-acre local watershed in Christian County.

The two men work together at Westate Construction and they fish together regularly. They?d enjoyed a good afternoon, landing and releasing several bass, including one about 8 pounds.

It had rained off and on most of the day. The rain was again falling when Myers and Mosher moved their boat near where a creek enters the lake, a spot both men knew to be a good fish producer.

Myers, 44, is from nearby Hopkinsville, Ky. He is a lifelong fisherman and weekend tournament angler. He was armed with standard bass tackle (7-foot Fenwick rod and a Shimano reel spooled with 12-pound test monofilament). But his terminal tackle had some local flavor. Myers was fishing with a 1-ounce chartreuse DC Thumper spinner bait with duel No. 8 Colorado blades, a local, hand tooled bait made by one of his friends, 87-year-old Dave Clark, also of Hopkinsville.

Myers made a cast and was making a steady retrieve through the calm, rain splattered flat near the creek mouth when a fish struck.

?When it hit the line just went slack,? said Myers. ?That usually means it?s a pretty good fish.?

The fish was strong but didn?t display any acrobatics.

?I thought it might be a 5- or 6-pounder,? Myers said. ?Then I saw its head. It was big as a cantaloupe.?

Five and six-pound bass typically don?t have cantaloupe-sized heads. Myers has some experience with big bass. He?s caught a few in the 8- and 9-pound range and in 2014 land a 10.1-pound brute from Lake Barkley. He was pretty sure he was tied to another double-digit bass.

Double digit size bass are rare in Kentucky. Many fishermen fish a lifetime without encountering one.

?I knew it was big,? he said. ?I didn?t know how big. But big.?

He was also working without a landing net, as both he and Moshler had neglected to put one in the boat. Myers maneuvered the fish within reach, grabbed its lower jaw and landed it by hand.
    ?I lipped it,? he said.

The big bass weighed 12 pounds 4 ? ounces. It didn?t quite match the state record largemouth, a 13 pound 10-ounce monster that was caught from Woods Creek Lake by Dale Wilson on April 14, 1984. But that was hardly a disappointment.

?It was a blessing from God,? Myers noted.

Myers used the custom-made spinner to land an 8-pound bass later that afternoon.

?There?s nothing else like it,? he said.

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...-man-lands-monster-bass-lake-morris/82012214/

5. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    Wow, that story of catching 3 over 8 lbs in 1 day is going to have that lake really crowded for the next several years. I almost would have had to say it came from a private farm pond just to prevent my favorite fishing lake from getting super crowded.

6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Most if not all of those small watershed lakes are private not public. I have access to a 40 acre one there that's been behind a locked gate for many years. And yes there is the chance of some big fish in them. The state record Crappie IIRC came from one in Christian county. I caught a 8 lb bass out of the one I fish on a cricket while fishing for bluegill.