Choke Tube???

kycrat

6 pointer
May 15, 2008
I know everyones got there own favorite but last year i read about a new tube that shot some ridiculous group at very long range. if im not mistaken you had to combo a certain shell and choke combo and it wasn't cheap. if anyone has the name, price, and opinion (if you actually have one of the tubes) of this i'd appriciate it.

Hunt4Fun

Fawn
Nov 9, 2007
Probably Rhino and Nitro's. $100 or so for a tube and $6.50 or so per Nitro. Pretty expensive, but the best patterns you are going to get. Probably too tight for most people. Next best would probably be the Mag Blends with the Rhino tube.

Hunt4Fun

Fawn
Nov 9, 2007
I've been shooting it since I gave up the Nitro Copper plated shells when Ray started loading Hevi. It's pretty tough to beat. I haven't tried the Mag Blend yet, but I have a box of it here to try before season.

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
I have a factory Remington choke but I have an after market thats better but can think what it is. It patterns better than the Rem. I'm one that still uses regular shot in 3in. I will never, ever, ever, pay the amount they want for the Hevi shot. If I can't kill a bird at 30 to 40 yards with a shot gun then I will stop hunting and hit the water for crappie. I'm not telling anyone what to shoot or what is better because it's an individual thing. Whats important to me is that I have a good pattern and not shooting 60 yards. It's all in what you want.

kycrat

6 pointer
May 15, 2008
thanks for the opinions. if you actually shoot one of these shell/tube combo's could i get your feedback.

wolverine1

12 pointer
Oct 19, 2004
breckinridge county
I shoot the Primos Jelly Head and Nitro loads out of my Remington .870. You can go to the Nitro Ammunition website and they will have information for you particular gun and which choke/load for it. It will even tell you on there that you can use the Jelly Head in lieu of the Rhino for particular guns. My gun will put roughly 180 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards with a 3" Nitro shell. I dropped a turkey at Knox a couple years ago at 53 steps. If you can afford the choke tube/loads I know you will be pleased. If you cant, there are several other great options out there!!!!

RLWEBB

12 pointer
Nov 30, 2005
Staffordsville, KY
Go to www.nitrocompany.com and you'll see exactly what you need. Not sure which load/shell your looking for but if you need to order what you want directly from Nitro, then you're likely too late for this year. I do know that Uncle Lees used to sell some of the 3.5" loads but I'm not sure if they still do or not. I've used the 4x5x7 hevi from Nitro with the .665 Rhino through a 12 gauge Benelli SBE and was more than pleased. I currently shoot the straight 7 Nitro Hevi in a 20 gauge Encore with a .555 Indian Creek or the factory TC Turkey Tube. It's a deadly combo as well. If you want the best, go Nitro. Chokes do not seem to be as important but Nitro's website has all of the information regarding chokes. Give them a try and don't listen to the haters.

troy75

8 pointer
Aug 24, 2009
livingston,ky
i just patterned my browning gold with an old MAD MAX choke,I dont know if they still make it,but the hevy-shot magnum blend 3.5" put 188 pellets in 10
inch circle at 40 yards. And pretty much the hole pattern in a 15" circle.Im very pleased!! oh yea I also shot 3.5 HV WINCHESTER and theres no comparison.

RLWEBB

12 pointer
Nov 30, 2005
Staffordsville, KY
The first really dedicated turkey gun I had was a Browning Gold 3", NWTF model. It was in the original Mossy Oak BreakUp camo pattern. I had a MadMax .670 tube and used the original Remington Hevi-Shot load, # 6. It was death out to 50 yards. I love a Browning Gold and like the old ones better than even the new Maxus or Silver.

Latest posts