Chipmunks

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by bigbonner, May 10, 2021.

1. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I have had it with these little rodents. Last year they got in my greenhouse and ate up some seeds and stuff I had planted in float trays.
    Checked my greenhouse today and those little bastards ate around 600 bell pepper plants and some other stuff. Dug up some zucchini seeds I had just seeded.
    These thing have got to go .
    Any one have a solution to get rid of these things?

2. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    My wife's cats.
    I'll rent em out cheap, too.
    A radio in the greenhouse, maybe.

beauhunter41031, bigbonner and barney like this.
  3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Are you sure it's chipmunks and not a deer mouse?

Dark Cloud likes this.
  4. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I am not 100% sure but have seen some chipmunks around.
    I may put some poison out where no other animals can get to it .
    What ever it was cut them off and did not eat the whole plants. There may be 6 plants left standing in one tray .
    Plants was around 6 inches tall.

5. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I HATE CATS .
    Radio. You may be on to something. Right now I want to ring whatever it is little neck:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

jblack1 likes this.
  6. Manhattan

Manhattan 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2011
    London,KY.
    Get a rat snake and turn it loose in the general area...They will wipe out the chipmunks and any mice/rats you might have around.

7. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Sounds as if you simply need to batten down the hatches on your greenhouse, or build a real greenhouse made of glass. A cat would resolve your issue, but do not acquire one, since you would probably not properly care for it, being that you hate them.

Mine just went outside to prowl. Hopefully she does not find the young bunny living somewhere up against the front of the house and soon to relocate, after I pull more weeds up that way this week. That is something else you should do near your greenhouse. It was hopping through Tillville just yesterday and has grown quite a bit since last sighting, just as cute as could be.

That made me realize I require a cedar bunny fence around Tillville. I told Klepto's master about the younger bunny my dog killed a few weeks back. He has had many plants down for a few weeks now. He told me that he would shoot the bunnies and squirrels.

I told him that he is not permitted to shoot any of my bunnies nor squirrels, and that he must simply cover his plants (small garden). One of my dogs returned from visiting Sunday, not long before dusk, and gave me a serious scare. My first thought was poison, causing me to make a few vet calls and being told by one that if I ever require an ER vet, I must drive to Tennessee. My pets would be dead by then. Fortunately my dog rebounded and is perfectly fine. I would not put poison down at all.

Killer cat returned without the bunny.

8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Float bed?

If so it sounds like a little rabbit. Deer mice and chipmunks will just dig to get the seed. A good mouse trap with a kernel of corn glued to the bait pan is deadly on deer mice. I keep a couple of traps baited like this in my important places like the cellar and greenhouse at all times. I think this trap was last baited in 2002 and has caught dozens of mice.
    [​IMG]

hotdog, Nock, Feedman and 3 others like this.
  9. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I have plenty of black snakes that I leave alone and they stay under the plastic in my greenhouse. There is a few that is around 8 ft long and so long as they don't try and eat me , I let them stay. My barns have them and we see them in there a lot .

Feedman and HuntressOfLight like this.
  10. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    If you close up that greenhouse and the sun pops out it will get so hot inside that it will burn everything up.

11. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    My solarium in Florida has remote powered motorized roof windows, being that heat rises. Nothing is crawling in from up there even when opened, due to screens. Florida sun is brutal. I open those top windows, when I require an immediate heat release.

12. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I put a trap out last year and it was tripped but did not catch anything.
    Didn't expect this to happen . One day every thing was fine and the next day boom , plant eaten off.
    I don't think it was a rabbit because my cabbage are still good and untouched . Rabbits sure do like my cabbage after I plant .
    [​IMG]

13. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    This is a 100ft by 25 ft greenhouse that I used for tobacco plant production. I use it for some tobacco plants but mainly for vegetable plants that we use for our garden. It has side curtains that roll down and has a fan but it still gets hot inside when the sun pops out strong.

14. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    As IF it's my fault that you hate cats. I have nothing against barn cats, provided that they are properly cared for; meaning they are fixed, current upon rabies shots and are provided with daily fresh water and daily fresh food. They will kill any and all rodents with a quickness, even when well cared for, and that is because it is their nature.

If it were my place, I would burn anything close to that structure, leaving not one weed behind within the wake. I would then bury wire mesh around it, while attaching it to the structure, as well. I would install fans up high on one of the sides in reverse, sucking out the heat up top while drawing in fresh air from vented openings on the other side. That is how we kept my childhood solarium cooled back at the house in TN.

15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    That looks like vole damage. They will clip the top of a plant off and eat the stem down to the soil line.