Chevy brake proublem!!!

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Drew6859, May 10, 2015.

1. Drew6859

Drew6859 Fawn

Jul 13, 2014
    Eastern ky
    I have a 2002 2500hd with 200,xxx miles recently my front brakes have been locking up, I have replaced master cylinder, pulled the abs fuse, and the rubber flex hoses goin to the calibers and they are still locking up and it has fairly new brake and caliber, I can be driving down the road and you can feel them start to grab and after a couple hundred feet the front tires will lock dead up, in order to release the pressure I open the bleeder and it frees up them after afew miles same thing again. Does anyone know what could cause this? All suggestions are appreciated.

2. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    Not sure about your vehicle since I haven't worked on cars for a living in more than 10 years but so have a proportioning valve that could be sending all the brake fluid to the front wheels. But a more likely problem is that you have a caliper locking up. Is it pulling to one side when they lock up?

3. Drew6859

Drew6859 Fawn

Jul 13, 2014
    Eastern ky
    Nope it's locking both sides at the same time. I have no clue what it could be I have had it at the garage and they don't know and I have search the internet for 3 day and still no solution.

4. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Are ABS and E brake lights coming on at same time? If so could be a sensor issue

5. Boggs41076

Boggs41076 8 pointer

Oct 26, 2014
    Wolfe Creek, Ky
    Does it only lock up after the brakes have been applied or does it lock up without applying the brake also? Normally in my experience if you can back the bleeder screw off and it releases that eliminates the sticking caliper as the fluid is by passing and not returning through brake hose. That usually indicates a collapsing brake hose not allowing the fluid to return and release the caliper but with new hoses I have no idea. The proportioning valve is part if the abs electronics I'm pretty sure so pulling the 60 amp abs fuse under the hood should eliminate that also if it's still doing it. That's a tough one good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. 300winmag

300winmag 12 pointer

Sep 1, 2009
    Taylorsville
    Collapsed brake line and or bad calipers. Same thing happened on my 2007 Colorado with 220,000 on it. I replace brake line to the caliper and it was still doing it, I bought a new caliper from Auto Zone (mistake) it was bad, returned that one for another one and that fixed it.

7. riverview

riverview 8 pointer

I vote brake line, they get corrosion inside and hamper return flow.

8. Drew6859

Drew6859 Fawn

Jul 13, 2014
    Eastern ky
    They didn't come on at all until I pulled the fuse.

9. Drew6859

Drew6859 Fawn

Jul 13, 2014
    Eastern ky
    Boggs- it starts locking once the brake is applied then seems to get tighter until they r completely locked up. And I thought the same about the fuse but still didn't help.

10. Drew6859

Drew6859 Fawn

Jul 13, 2014
    Eastern ky
    I may have to get one, was it causing both front tires to lock up though or just one? Mine is causing both.

11. some models are bad for the brake lines to rust. most bust when brakes are put on but things could happen otherwise.i have an 04 and all have been changed.like someone said it may let fluid go one way but not back.