Chestnuts doing well

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Strutter, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    IMG_1290.jpg IMG_1291.jpg I got these 20 chestnut trees as nuts from the American Chestnut foundation in New York back in March or April of this year. I put them in these root starter bags and they are doing well. Not sure why the one is more yellow as it seems to be growing well.
    The little guy on the right is an oak that I picked up out of the yard and stuck it in the pot.

hotdog, Genesis 27:3, bondhu and 5 others like this.
  2. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I hope they all make big trees

bigbonner and barney like this.
  3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Those look great!

4. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Could the yellow be due to too much water?

Genesis 27:3 likes this.
  5. Genesis 27:3

Genesis 27:3 10 pointer

Oct 13, 2018
    Christain county
    Looking good.keep us informed.

6. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    I hope they turn out to be blight free for you. It seems like it might be a bit of a long-shot if the are 100% or 15/16 American but I hope they are able to produce one that is blight free! I thought they were trying to introduce a blight free wheat gene into American chestnut trees. That sounds interesting!

7. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Strutter, I hope yours do better than mine did last year. I planted 25 that I got from the NY Am Chestnut Foundation. Bout the time they got to the size of yours they started to discolor on the leaves. Then every one died. I watered and fertilized them as recommended by them. When I talked to someone from the KY chapter, they told me it's due to region and in order to have success I needed KY/TN/WV or OH nuts. I don't agree, but I am no expert. Keep us posted and I hope you have great success. When I asked the KY chapter guy how to get locals it's been crickets since!

8. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    I have about 50 dunstan chestnuts at the farm now. Some are 5 foot and a few about 10 or so. Should have some nuts from the big ones next year. Several of my sawtooth oaks are loaded this year if they keep on going, the deer should have some new flavor nuts to munch on.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  9. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    Dunstan chestnuts are a cross between chinese and american chestnuts. It's characteristics differ between trees: some tend to grow short and wide like Chinese and some tend to grow large like the american. They got a patent for the Dunstan even though they propagate through the chestnut itself (as opposed to grafting). Chestnuts are a bit more true to seed than apples or many other seeds, but it's not a copy of the parent and it's certainly not a full American Chestnut. Don't get me wrong, they are a good chestnut tree, but they're marketing is very good!

10. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    I think they are trying to breed an American Chestnut with a Chinese and then several Americans until they get 15/16 American. They're hoping that that 1/16 Chinese will give it some blight resistance. Most will die, but they are doing a "trial" until they find some that work. I imagine once they find the low percentage that have resistance, they can then sell them as American Chestnut trees. That's my understanding of it and could be the reason why yours didn't work.

11. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    I hope some of them do good so I can see if the deer like them as much as I have read that they do.

12. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    When do you plan to plant them? This fall or winter them and keep in pots for a year or so?

13. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    I planted the others in April and some last year in October I was thinking about putting these in bigger pots and keeping them another year.

14. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Rut, yeah that's what they are shooting for. I was hoping that 4 or 5 of my 25 would make it but didn't happen.
    There was a farm I used to hunt that had a couple on it (they are all dead now) anyhow you'd have to beat the deer to get em off em. You could see 20 - 30 deer under one tree at times.

Rut-n-Strut likes this.