Chemicals for moss in lake..

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Rhino, May 9, 2012.

1. Rhino

Rhino Spike

Jul 22, 2011
    NKY
    Anyone know of a chemical or algacide for moss and stringy weeds in a 3/4 acre pond that was dredged 4
    years ago that wont hurt the fish in there? I put 8 grass carp in there 2.5/ 3 years ago and they are growing but the moss is getting pretty bad around the banks..The fish are doing really well also,just dont want to kill them by killing the moss. I could/will call the kdfw and ask them but just wanted to see if anyone had suggestions first. Thanks..

2. chris149

chris149 12 pointer

Jun 17, 2009
    KY
    I use Dimond copper sulfate but you do have to be carefull and not over do it. You can get it at Southern States plus they have other stuff too you may want to look at.

3. jayder85

jayder85 10 pointer

A friend of mine used something called Aqua Sheen. I believe thats what is was called. Worked wonders on his little pond.

4. Grant

Grant 10 pointer

Nov 25, 2003
    Crittenden County
    Copper sulfate if what you want. Ii will take care if it. I used it in my little pond last year for the filamentous algae and it worked wonders.
    I will say this though, the fish didn't feed well for a couple days, and the 2 grass carp that I had put in there a few days prior died. Not sure that it was related, but I would say it was.

5. chris149

chris149 12 pointer

Jun 17, 2009
    KY
    You may have put to much in there I have used it for years and never had any carp or any other fish die from it. I put in a little at a time for a couple of weeks that way it wont stress out the fish and not drop oxygen too much. I have found out it works best this way.

6. Grant

Grant 10 pointer

Nov 25, 2003
    Crittenden County
    Possible, but I set out to put less than the label called for. I wonder if the fact they were stressed from being transported had anything to do with it. None of the other species had any die off. They had been in the pond for 3 or 4 months by that time.

7. Davidlondon4

Davidlondon4 12 pointer

Dec 2, 2004
    Laurel County