cheese dip

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by rock802, Jun 3, 2012.

1. rock802

rock802 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    primrose ky.
    Does anyone know how to make the white cheese dip that they have at the Mexican resturants???

2. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Some groceries carry "queso" (the white cheese dips) and others don't. I've always thought it was strange that its kind of hard to find. I have my ex convinced that its goat's milk cheese (from a certain rare breed of mexican goat), and hard to get.

A quick goole search revealed they actually use white american cheese and this recipe

Restaurant-Style Queso Dip

•1 Tbs canola or vegetable oil
    •1/4 cup minced white onion
    •1-2 jalapenos, seeds and ribs removed, minced
    •12 oz white American cheese (I ask the deli to just give it to me in a big block vs slicing it), shredded
    •4 oz Monterrey Jack or Pepperjack cheese, shredded
    •1/2-1 cup milk, half-and-half, or heavy cream
    •1-2 roma tomatoes, seeds removed, diced
    •2-3 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro
    •salt to taste
    In a 12-inch skillet, heat the oil to medium heat and saute the onion and jalapenos until softened, 3-5 minutes.

Reduce the heat to medium-low. Adding a little cream and a handful of cheese or so at a time, stir constantly until the cheese is mostly melted. Continue adding cheese and cream, stirring constantly, until all the cheese has melted. Add extra milk or cream until you reach your desired consistency. I actually add a little extra milk at this point to thin it out even more. Since it thickens upon standing, I make it a little thinner than I'd like so that when it's time to eat, it is the perfect consistency.

Stir in the tomatoes and cilantro, and season with salt. Serve immediately.

here's another with less fixins
    1 lb land o' lakes white American cheese, in the deli at Walmart
    2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies, undrained
    1/2-1 cup heavy cream, depending on thickness of dip you like

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  3. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    My kids like this version... Melt some of the white (queso blanco) velvetta & add in chopped green chilis. 1 can to about half a block of the queso blanco comes out about right on the spicing.

Do NOT use the Kroger version with jalapeno's - it's not the same at all & the jalapeno flavor is overpowering.

4. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Sams Club sells the exact stuff they sell at Hacienda. It's cheaper to buy it made rather than buy all the stuff to make it.

5. rock802

rock802 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    primrose ky.
    ok thanks !!!!

6. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Pretty sure it's just white cheese and japs around here.