Check stations

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by philipfleek, Sep 14, 2013.

1. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    Man, I wish we still had em. Nothing more fun than heading to one with a cup of coffee and bs'ing. Bring back the fun!

2. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Yeh you could always head up to the local station and see how its going, listen to all the tails, and there was always a big ol pot of chili, and pimento cheese, and a big buck raffle. I miss it!! Don't think itll ever come back, I reckon us older folks will remember the good ol days!!

3. willy09

willy09 Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Now it's an online check stations lol this is the only place to hear state wide stories now lol literally the whole world is changed lol even the deer Huntin world

4. LSOSGT1109

LSOSGT1109 10 pointer

Jul 22, 2012
    Laurel County
    I definitely miss the check stations! I remember thinking how cool it was when I killed a deer and got my pic on the wall with the rest of the deer kills. Even up into my 20's I still thought it was cool! Lol

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

5. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    I miss em as well. Country store up the road would be loaded with hunters telling stories. Tagging system now sucks. Its way to easy to not tag one the way it is now.

6. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I do miss looking at the deer and chatting with folks but I don't miss driving 40 miles to check in a deer or not having one open in the evenings or Sundays. The early (hot) bow season would make it tough to haul a deer around to check it in as well.

Its not the system in place that causes deer to not be checked but the outlaws that use it. The same outlaws that cheat one will cheat the other. Its no harder or more risky either way. Too many people know the cheaters yet look the other way. Really...tell me how often you are checked and the risk of being caught getting a deer out.

We get to see more deer and hear more stories now via the internet than we ever did before. The world moves on.

Telecheck is the best thing to ever happen.

7. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    chances of getting checked or caught in my neck of the woods are slim to none. My lease is 15 minutes from my house and id say i could kill 3 deer a day ( if they were there lol) haul em to my house hangem in the barn and do this all season and never get caught. I know there lacking on manpower but maybe random roadblocks would help.

8. slyfly76

slyfly76 6 pointer

Mar 12, 2011
    I really miss these check stations ours was at wells' open market in falmouth and by noon opening day of gun half the hunting community was there, it was always a good motivator when you saw other people's success! Heck we liked it so much we'd go and look even if we didn't have a deer to check in.lol

9. thunder chicken

thunder chicken Spike

Dec 2, 2007
    Metcalfe County, Ky
    Same here I really miss those days too!

10. bduncan14

bduncan14 6 pointer

Agree. The old instant polaroids were the best. The store would take two, one for them and one for you. They would record your name, points, weight, and date. Your personal copy would somehow always end up with a bloody fingerprint somewhere in the that lower white section.

11. I loved check stations also.Those were the good ol days.

12. johnky

johnky 8 pointer

Apr 5, 2011
    Loretto ky
    Check stations was the best,I could spend hours there.There is still a place in howardstown you can still weight deer and put your name and what you killed on a board.

13. jayder85

jayder85 10 pointer

Boy I have many a good memory of my grandpa's check station. Boy was I educated by the greatest minds around!

14. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Don't have much experience with check stations, just the one's in Indiana growing up, and in Ohio when I first moved to the area.

I will say, there were a lot of positives, but much more negatives. I remember the closest check in station growing up was a 30 mile round trip, ( one of only 3 in the county). I remember one year the guy who ran it got pi$$ed at someone that tried to check one in early on the gun opener, and decided he wasn't checking any more deer from anyone that day. Needless to say, he had a parking lot full of mad hunters.

Once in Ohio, a guy had a basket rack 8 in the back of his truck telling a tale about how he had two "monsters" fighting and a "dozen" buck standing around watching, but decided to take the 1.5 year old 8 to "let the other's grow a while." Sorry, I can deal without BS like that.

Almost forgot trying to check in a turkey on opening morning in Ohio, and the guy flat out refused to check it in, or let me do the weighing myself, because he was "too busy" with the 3 customers that came through in the 10 minutes I stood there. I then had to drive 20 miles to the next closest station where the lady was more than happy to do it. I filled my truck up at her station.

Technology has moved past check stations, and the system we have in place is much more efficient for everyone. The theory that more people don't check deer is false. If you won't buy a tag and make a phone call, why would you drive 20 miles to do it?

15. screamin6x6

screamin6x6 BBBC Members

Man, I missed those gun season check stations. It was way more than just the act of checking in a deer. It was the check station experience. As far as the technology, you can have it back. Some things functioned just fine without it.There was a lot more accountability as far as checking in your deer than it may look. Most every hunter around most stations knew who's Polaroid was on that wall or name was on that poster board. If you didn't check a deer in, folks around you knew it without waiting a couple days and looking it up online. Not to mention the Ma & Pa businesses that depended on those check station chesseburgers and such to stay afloat every year. I guess I just like the way things used to be too much. But I'd trade Telecheck back in for Check Stations in a heartbeat.