Chanterelles

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by EastKYHardwoodHunter, Jul 11, 2020.

1. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Guys, please be very careful with collecting Mushrooms for the table. Pick and eat the wrong types might lead you to a Liver Transplant!!

carnivore and HuntressOfLight like this.
  2. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    I have never put any on the table and possess no intention of ever doing so with any in which I happen to pick, even though I absolutely love mushrooms in my food. I simply enjoy finding and photographing them growing within their habitats, along with making spore prints for identification purposes, learning more about them with all. They are very cool.

A few have popped on the property of late. I was mowing a few days ago and intentionally dodged two medium sized white ones growing a few feet apart from one another, with intentions to later return for further investigation, but I had many other tasks and never made it back to them. They were not far from where I noticed a few like them last year and having just returned, I believe some critter may have munched them; my guess is a squirrel.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 9:02 AM
    davers likes this.
  3. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    Get on Youtube and watch several videos. Adam Haritan with "Learn Your Land" is very good.

4. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    This article has some very good descriptions of both look a-likes. https://practicalselfreliance.com/chanterelle-mushrooms/

HuntressOfLight and davers like this.
  5. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Personally, I don't like any type mushrooms (store type or wild) for eating. I leave them in the woods for the critters to enjoy. Have friends that collect and eat those white puffballs that come-up in the fall where they have to be just right to eat safely.

6. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I was out in my woods, this past Saturday, looking for a hickory tree with some hickory nuts; and seen several of these orange mushrooms growing deep in my woods. The article was interesting to read, but I leave the mushroom in the woods for the wildlife to enjoy.

HuntressOfLight and carnivore like this.
  7. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    I do not experiment with different kinds when purchasing them, always sticking with portabello mushrooms, myself, being that I simply love them. A favorite meal of mine happens to be stuffed (various shellfish) mushrooms. I typically stick with filet mignon, but when unavailable and preparing/ordering other steaks, in most instances, I prefer to have my mushrooms and onions atop them, and then we most certainly cannot forget about chicken marsala...yummy when correctly prepared. Regardless, I order just about anything with, who only knows but the chefs what types of, mushrooms. If I could become a mushroom, I might do so for a day, simply because they are so very cool, lol.

Still, I have been allergy tested only once in my lifetime and the results were mold, along with spring and fall pollens; which kinds, I do not know, and so trying different types of mushrooms merely growing wild tends to concern me for that reason, as well as not knowing what may be in the substrate or general habitat. When I spent about six months registered upon some psychedelic mushroom website, I learned that many of those people were absolutely clueless about cattle farming; the chemicals and medications utilized. When I dropped the details with supporting links, the sad part is that most appeared to be so very addicted to them that they did not even care, being that their brains were utterly fried, and they did not even realize it. You along with others may find this article interesting.

https://sciencing.com/fungus-vs-mold-5529716.html

8. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    I did them once 20 years ago and wont do them again. Had zero control over what I perceived to be reality, and was hallucinating some crazy stuff. I could have easily hurt or killed my buddies thinking they were plotting to hurt me. Nothing fun about it. I promise you anyone who is on them are certifiably insane. My buddy’s little brother led police on a pursuit naked and was convinced they were aliens chasing him. He got away initially but stopped into McDonalds and grilled himself up a burger naked before being finally being apprehended.

Nock likes this.
  9. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Lol, sad, while pretty bizarre! I have been around people taking them and they were perfectly fine and quite humorous. Granted, they were not like those addicts on that website and rarely did it. Those people on the website, some of them, mixed other things with them and were completely insane, unfortunately, but it was interesting learning what they believed regarding light and supernatural beings. I no longer recall, I may have been on that website for closer to a year. One thing I can say is those people knew just about anything and everything regarding any type of mushrooms growing wild or otherwise.

I became friendly with one of the moderators whom was from California and constantly foraging in Mexico. He was one of the most well informed and surely highly watched by DEA, which I had no doubts were all up in that website. I am quite sure they were highly amused over my trolling escapades, too, lol. Anyway, this guy knew that I had registered only for a proper identification of a certain type of mitochondria in which I had found and was initially clueless I had stumbled onto a psych website. He provided me with quite the education regarding mushrooms overall while he was down in Mexico hunting. We would have ourselves all kinds of debates via what he surely surmised were private conversations, even though I warned him they most certainly must not be so. He was a primary advocate for medicinal uses and made many publications in attempts to push such, as many do so I learned... cluster headaches, all kinds of things, just like they did with MJ. It will eventually happen, is my guess. He explained that it was not illegal to mail the spores, which caused me to research case law pertaining to all. I no longer recall, but I think that I was eventually banned, lol, but not before learning an immense amount about all kinds of mushrooms.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 10:58 AM
  10. Stone Branch

Stone Branch 6 pointer

Jun 27, 2019
    Lewis county, KY
    today's mushroom tour

DSC04046 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC04049 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC04050 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC04054 (1200 x 900).jpg

I watched one video and could id these from 20 feet away as false positives.

DSC04064 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC04071 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC04080 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC04079 (1200 x 900).jpg

G

11. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Nice tour plus bonus critter! Second photo is very nice, while I'm rather partial to natural backlighting, such as within your fifth photo.

I found my own critter while hunting for mushrooms at the grocery moments ago, lol, a baby five lined blue skink, spying him just outside the entrance and told the cashier; surprisingly, he had never heard of them. Found myself some thick baby portabellas from Pennsylvania and am currently chowing down upon them, while patiently awaiting my burgers to finish grilling. I am going to slap some atop one with swiss cheese fairly soon.

12. Stone Branch

Stone Branch 6 pointer

Jun 27, 2019
    Lewis county, KY
    That sounds pretty good to me. The first shrooms I believe to perhaps be destroying angels, not on the menu. I am lucky to get any picture that works with the camera I'm using with a mind of it's own.

G

13. Stone Branch

Stone Branch 6 pointer

Jun 27, 2019
    Lewis county, KY
    I was a day late and a dollar short with my hamburger bun shrooms, they were mostly gone. It started raining on Thursday, Saturday would have been the day to pick them.

DSC04098 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC04102 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC04121 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC04122 (1200 x 900).jpg

I had a chance to study one of the Bolete flavors that would give you a belly ache

DSC04109 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC04110 (1200 x 900).jpg

G

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  14. Stone Branch

Stone Branch 6 pointer

Jun 27, 2019
    Lewis county, KY
    I sautéed my boletes in coconut oil and lightly salted them then took two cautious bites. I then proceeded to fix and eat some zucchini and ribeye. While eating I was debating whether or not my seemingly sweaty brow and increased heart rate was real or just perceived. I experienced no cramping or actual gastrological distress but my gut seemed to be more vocal for about the next 3 hours. The shrooms were quite tasty so I am now debating whether to try some more or just buy some shrooms at the store.

DSC04133 (1200 x 900).jpg

G

FOWLER2671 likes this.