Chanterelle Mushrooms.

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by FOWLER2671, Jul 10, 2019.

1. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I have looked for Morels for several years before basically giving up... Never found the first specimen and I have a pretty good eye...

Chanterelles...

Never heard of them till two weeks ago. Saw a post on FB. Was out on Sunday and found a bunch but only took four for positive ID. They passed and sautéed up in butter and garlic salt and were quite good!

carnivore likes this.
  2. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Nice. Getting close to chicken season as well.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    I have bunches of oysters, wood ear, and an occasional lion’s mane. Zero morels or chicken, but would be delighted to find chanterelles. Congrats and thanks for the heads up to start lookin.

4. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    Picked a couple of pounds of chanterelles last Thursday while helping a buddy set up a feeder. Some appeared to have been up a week or so and some had just popped. July and early August are the time to find them.

barney likes this.
  5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

If I picked a wild mushroom and ate it I would probably be seeing giant flying chickens with machineguns strapped on their backs....:D

elkaholic and Lady Hunter like this.
  6. 00noturkey

00noturkey 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    i do want to say something funny about brownshirts, but i wont.. i would like to learn about, finding mushrooms, in the woods.
    i all ready have dreams similar to yours, except for giant chickens with gun's. you must be thinking about lunch, and the chickens are retaliating, but, i wouldnt mind enhancing my dreams.
    my dreams happen when i am asleep, and i haven't i havent seen a commercial yet.
    that's the main thing. an way better than TV, or dish..
    the first rain in april, brings up a shroom. i cant think of the name at the moment.. this weather, and rain, has to mess that up.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  7. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 10 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    I guess my woods are loaded with them. Neighbor picked a mess of em.

8. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I was down at my place the other day and was dumbfounded by the number of mushrooms that were there. There were tons of different species and I definitely saw a mess of chanterelles. More than I could have hauled out with a 50 gallon trash can. They were everywhere. I thought I had read that they were edible but didn’t pick any because I wasn’t certain. When I got home I saw this post and looked them up. I guess I will pick a mess next time down if there are any left.

bondhu, FOWLER2671 and carnivore like this.
  9. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Morels are the only king I know, the rest I’m afraid of, I’ve got enough problems running around in my head ,now without adding more.

10. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Been good weather for them.

11. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I picked several this afternoon. A lot less then last week. Not sure if someone else has been after them or if some critters or just time is claiming them?

12. EastKYHardwoodHunter

EastKYHardwoodHunter 6 pointer

Mar 4, 2018
    Beattyville
    How’s the best way to cook these chanterelles? Ran into a patch this past weekend and plan to go back and get a mess since I’ve never tried them

13. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I'm new to wild mushrooms. First priority is to make a very positive ID that you have safe schrooms.

I rinsed mine and used a toothbrush to scrub the dirt off after trimming the stalk to cut the dirty part off. I left them to soak in salt water for a bit . Tear them into bite size pieces then shook them dry and sautéed them dry without any oil, spray or water. Cover to let the moisture steam the mushrooms for a few minutes then remove the lid to allow the water to cook off. When The pan is just dried or has very little water then add a decent amount of butter, garlic salt and pepper

bondhu likes this.
  14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    The main thing with mushrooms is correct ID of course, but the freshness. Older mushrooms should be avoided.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  15. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I looked up the mushrooms and seems there are some not so good ones that look the same....My luck I would pick a bucket of false ones and see those flying chickens.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019 at 8:38 PM