Chainsaw mishaps

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Trapper Delk, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    It was full alive and pissed off. It made me think twice about cutting into a tree after that.

muddhunter likes this.
  2. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    My first mishap, I was cutting firewood. I cut a hickory and it fell the wrong way, across my pickup. I was pissed. I had to cut it up to get it off of my truck. I finally got it cut up and loaded for firewood. It made a dent across the top of the cab. When I opened the door to leave I realized that I had left both windows down. It was 6 inches deep of wood chips from the saw. I like to have never got the wood chips and saw dust out of the damcarpet. To top it all off the tree I cut was one of those old knarley hillside hickories. No way would it split. I had to haul it off. I wasted most of a day for nothin.

Another mishap, I was cutting some box elders from a ditch bank that runs into the river. The bank was steep and wet and of course old clumsy ass here slipped, and hit my left knee with the saw running at full throttle and I rolled all the way to the bottom of the ditch. When I looked through the gaping hole in my jeans I could see my kneecap. The cut was about 1/2" wide. All I could find to patch me up was a roll of ducktape. (I always carry ducktape and zip ties) When I got home my wife told me "you are going to the ER". I told her no I aint. I still wear the pants in this family, (most of the time)o_O. She dobbed some Neosporin on it pulled it together with tape. Healed up good. :D

3. keeruss8

keeruss8 6 pointer

Jun 19, 2016
    Marrowbone
    Clearing lots to dig basements for some extra money and was having a lil competition to see who could drive a stake in the ground. Well I one and in the midst of talking shit I didn't hit the brake and it bite me in the thigh. Looked like someone tried to scoop my thigh out with a spoon. Nice scar to remind me still 20 years later

4. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I tore up the thigh of a pair of work pants one time. I was getting really tired and got sloppy. I had my foot on the up side of a bank and my saw got really heavy and grazed my thigh as it was winding down. I fixed the pants with a big patch and wear them to remind me to quit before I get too tired and start getting careless. All I got was a scraped knee and a lesson.

Feedman and muddhunter like this.
  5. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    How do you drive a stake in the ground with a chainsaw

6. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    nintchdbpict000383105417.jpg this is the mummified coon dog I was talking about,. Tell me that the man saw that off and looked in seen that didn't mess his drawers,,
    It says dog was found 20 years after it had been lost

7. FF/EMT516

FF/EMT516 Spike

Nov 22, 2020
    Blackrock, Ky
    I wonder if they returned him to his owner

Trapper Delk likes this.
  8. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    There was a collar and they called the number finally got ahold of the man's son I think and he said he remembers the dog getting gone and his dad kept saying I hear him they thought it was just in his head

FF/EMT516 likes this.
  9. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    I think best I remember it (tree and dog is in a museum somewhere)

10. keeruss8

keeruss8 6 pointer

Jun 19, 2016
    Marrowbone
    CFR sorry I should have specified, with the tree not the chainsaw lol might be fun to watch someone try it with a chainsaw

11. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    So you’d cut a tree down and when it fell down you’d try to make it hit a stake and drive it in the ground?

JR in KY likes this.
  12. Doug 16

Doug 16 6 pointer

Jun 7, 2020
    New york
    My self cut my knee 12 stitches. 21 I started a job in a sawmill as a board stacker. They needed a skidded man for few days I filled in last day I filled in our day got cut short. One the guys cut his face some how right down the middle from forehead too chin. Split his nose they had do work on it. He said thing hurt worse was When they pulled all the packing out his nose. Still talk the man sometimes.

13. keeruss8

keeruss8 6 pointer

Jun 19, 2016
    Marrowbone
    Yes that's correct. We would try to see who could drive a footing stake in the ground

14. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 8 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    Used to do residential work for side money...more or less stopped after I had kids. I enjoyed the work and money but always felt like I was playing Russian roulette.

No accidents yet, but always wear PPE to avoid as much risk as possible.

bearleft likes this.
  15. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Lol, my guys would typically smash coke cans, but if none were on hand, it was always some other beverage.

I'm very blessed to have had only one worker's compensation claim over the years, and that was simply because an idiot removed the pin when the jib was extended on the boom, causing all to rapidly descend and take off two of his fingers (crane). He deserved it and was able to milk my insurance for 100,000.00, because the hospital failed to do the required drug test prior to discharge, I later learned. Fortunately he only hurt himself and nobody else, other than my long standing claimless record and percentage on payroll for worker's compensation the following three years, when it finally decreased back to normal. He was lucky that he managed to get away from me after that. Fact.

I did have one one sawman filet his thigh. That was pretty cool looking, actually. Looked just like a frog I once dissected in biology class. I could see everything. He is yet another nut, but a good one. Before I got him into the vehicle and drove him to the ER not far away, I asked him whether it hurt. He said no. He simply could not really feel it, at that point in time. He agreed not to run that through my insurance, because he knew it was his fault for not having on his chaps and had been with us forever and a day, older man. I simply paid the hospital bill for him.