Cement shortage hitting central KY

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
Probably because they pumped it all in the ground at work filling sinkholes and caves so they could build. Right 1000 loads of grout pumped in the ground.
Grout requires VERY little cement. It's generally a 100psi mix. Maybe a half ton of powder to a full load, as compared to 3.5 or 4 ton for a standard load of concrete

baknblack

12 pointer
Jan 30, 2014
Henry County
The only thing I know of locally was the old speed plant was due to be mothballed this year and the production increased at one of their other plants further away. That's 700,000 tons leaving the local market. I retired last year but as far as I know Kosmos is still slated to produce their annual 1.6 million tons. If you're a ready mix operator I'm sure if you pulled up to the scales with the money you could purchase your cement. Some small plants do not have their own tanker truck to go get it. Most of Kosmos's cement goes out by rail and barge to other terminals to be sold in other states so, the plant makes more on what's being sold at the plant terminal and they like that. If you have a tanker they'll sell till the silos are empty.

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
The only thing I know of locally was the old speed plant was due to be mothballed this year and the production increased at one of their other plants further away. That's 700,000 tons leaving the local market. I retired last year but as far as I know Kosmos is still slated to produce their annual 1.6 million tons. If you're a ready mix operator I'm sure if you pulled up to the scales with the money you could purchase your cement. Some small plants do not have their own tanker truck to go get it. Most of Kosmos's cement goes out by rail and barge to other terminals to be sold in other states so, the plant makes more on what's being sold at the plant terminal and they like that. If you have a tanker they'll sell till the silos are empty.
I have all the tankers and more I can use. Doesn't matter. They've put everyone on an allocation. And the allocation ain't much. But you're retired, don't worry about it man lol

High Rack

12 pointer
Dec 21, 2009
in the hills
I had part of my drive poured this time last year, I think it was 22-23 yards to the gate @ 120 a yard. I thought 7500 was a lil steep, but daym, I could not come close to that now to continue down the drive as I talked to the guy last week and he was at 155 per yard, so my 5500 would get me just a lil over half of last years pour.......I can wait this out, the current blacktop is still in decent shape. Biden bucks suck.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I keep hearing about sand shortages at work (construction sand). The only concrete we pour is fiber so I’m used to it costing more. Well I guess we do use some flowable fill around pipelines but I mix that myself now, that stuff is garbage for highway duty.

baknblack

12 pointer
Jan 30, 2014
Henry County
I work where backnblack retired from. We can’t make cement fast enough. We are emptying our silos quicker than we can put it in. I still think it’s gonna come to a halt the building is gonna stop.
I'm so happy to be out of there. My boss was not much fun to work for. Going to be a long year for you guys if you're already running low.

Latest posts