CCW Question

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by coysmoker, Feb 9, 2013.

1. coysmoker

coysmoker 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2010
    Boone Co.
    I have had my CCW in Kentucky since 2000. My question is : Can I carry my Long Gun ( Ar Or Other) in a case, Loaded in my Auto ?

2. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I'm pretty sure your permit doesn't limit you to a specific gun type. But I can't imagine a rifle being very handy in any ccw situation. And I'm pretty sure that even without a ccw, you can carry a loaded gun of any type in your car. Your permit just allows you to keep it in more places in your car.

3. thunderstorm

thunderstorm 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    Without the CCDW permit you can only carry a loaded handgun in the glove compartment. With the permit, you can have them in your vehicle anywhere.

4. FranciscoJ

FranciscoJ 6 pointer

Feb 19, 2010
    It has to be unloaded doesn't it? I can't remember honestly if you're allowed to have a magazine in the same compartment, or if the gun has a magazine in it, if it's allowed to be chambered.

Are we allowed to carry a rifle around with us, unloaded? I remember recently a big stink about a guy carrying his pistol and rifle (unloaded I think) and a photo being posted to Facebook. Guy said he called the cops to let them know he was doing it though...

5. c100max

c100max 8 pointer

Nov 10, 2003
    fle-burg

6. Rhino

Rhino Spike

Jul 22, 2011
    NKY
    From what I remember .....If you have your permit you must have it concealed.. If you do not have a ccw you are able to carry any gun out in the open( dash board,back window,etc.) ..Our officer in the class was awesome..He said if you dont carry your gun loaded,just use a bat because it would be quicker to get to..Ummm. he also told us to shoot bad guys in the head because you could get more shots in them because the threat was still moving falling down...

7. bigukcatfan

bigukcatfan 8 pointer

Nov 18, 2009
    Somewhere
    You are allowed to carry a loaded gun in Kentucky. There is no three motion step. You can also keep it in any factory installed compartment(glove box, center console, map compartment, etc.) is not considered concealed.

Here is a link! http://www.gunlawguide.com/Kentucky.htm

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  8. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    i think i would contact a LEO instead of asking on here and getting several different opinions.

9. yote hunter

yote hunter 12 pointer

Oct 30, 2004
    bullitt county
    People please dont post on here if you are not 100% sure about your info .it justs ads to the confusion.Bigukcatfan has it right every other post was wrong in some way.

10. mike_b

mike_b 8 pointer

Aug 8, 2010
    Ledbetter
    This is basically correct. You are allowed to openly carry in KY with your firearm in plain view. There is no revocation of a right to open carry by having a CCDW permit. The OP asked about carry in a vehicle. You may openly carry in a vehicle in KY and in addition, you may store your loaded firearm in a factory installed compartment without said firearm being considered "concealed" per KRS 527.020(8). You could carry your long gun in plain view on the dash or passenger seat in accordance with open carry (note, I'm not aware of any KY law explicitly permitting this, but 527.020(1) requires a concealed weapon to actually be concealed. I believe a friend was charged with carrying concealed without a permit for a revolver on his dash, but IIRC it was dismissed by the prosecutor when it reached his desk. ) . A CCDW permit holder may concealed in a car. This would be considered carrying a deadly weapon concealed "about your person."

If you don't have a scenario that KSP doesn't explicitly say is legal, I would contact KSP to ask. Get a badge number and name and don't simply ask any KSP officer. Otherwise, ask your attorney. I wouldn't simply trust the Internet, forums or websites.

11. coysmoker

coysmoker 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2010
    Boone Co.
    Thanks for the replies. The reason I ask was a friend of mine took the test for his CCW last weekend and he was telling me he didn't think I could carry my AR in my car with the ammo stored in the case with the gun. The case I have has room for both. I always have a loaded clip in the gun but never a bullet in the chamber. Since he took the class last week he may remember more them I will from 10 years ago.

12. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Exactly and thanks for posting the correct info with a link

13. mike_b

mike_b 8 pointer

Aug 8, 2010
    Ledbetter
    What are they going to charge you with? Carrying a concealed deadly weapon? You have a permit.

14. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Besides you don't need a permit in KY to openly carry a LOADED weapon in your vehicle KY is an Open Carry state. Which in a factory installed compartment or seat pocket is NOT concealed. We are still part of the US and value our 2nd Amendment RIGHTS

http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm

KRS 527.020(8) states in part that:
    "A loaded or unloaded firearm or other deadly weapon shall not be deemed concealed on or about the person if it is located in any enclosed container, compartment, or storage space installed as original equipment in a motor vehicle by its manufacturer, including but not limited to a glove compartment, center console, or seat pocket, regardless of whether said enclosed container, storage space, or compartment is locked, unlocked, or does not have a locking mechanism.

No person or organization, public or private, shall prohibit a person from keeping a loaded or unloaded firearm or ammunition, or both, or other deadly weapon in a vehicle in accordance with the provisions of this subsection. Any attempt by a person or organization, public or private, to violate the provisions of this subsection may be the subject of an action for appropriate relief or for damages in a Circuit Court or District Court of competent jurisdiction. This subsection shall not apply to any person prohibited from possessing a firearm pursuant to KRS 527.040."

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  15. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    ^^^^^^x2!!!^^^^^